Why do people think that all fat people are lazy?

I get told all the time if I just quit being lazy I would lose weight. I am not lazy! I work out quite often and I eat right. But why do people think that all fat people are lazy?

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't know, I have a husband who thinks that way also and I am 40lbs overweight.. I am far from "lazy" as I do all the chores and errands around our house and pay bills etc.. but I don't take the time to workout because after all that plus raising a 3 year old.. I don't have the energy... he is a work out freak and I just can't spend that time for ME I guess
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Its a stereotype... why do people think all white people are racist? Kind of like that, its a generalization but not everyone thinks that way.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• maybe because active labor and cooking healthy meals at home is a recipe for a fit body.
    eating out (lazy) and relying on chores as your only source of exercise is lazy.

why is it that you think youre overweight? whats the reason?
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 3:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree that some people have weight issues that do not stem from a bad ratio of working out to eating.. but that is a small percentage.

maxmom... lazy and getting chores done are NOT the same as working out.  Some how I am a sahm of 3 and find time to run marathons.  I think you can manage a walk and ONE child.

Anonymous

• Because they are uninformed. There are many factors that determine how think or heavy someone is. You could have a thyroid disorder, you could have any number of medical issues that cause you to be overweight, even hormone imbalances can cause it so no amount of working out will help until you get the medical aspect under control. Even then some people are just genetically prone or have been raised with overweight people and simply never learned to eat properly. Just ignore the ignorant. If you are doing everything you can and you are healthy other than being overweight then thats what matters most. If you are concerned though maybe see your doctor and have them check for any other ailment contributing to the issue. Some can lead to more serious problems.

Answer by gemgem at 3:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It takes years of bad eating and little to no physical activity to get fat. And once you're fat, you have to workout like hell to even try to get it off. So when someone sees a fat person, they think that person has sat back and let themselves get like that. AND they are presently doing nothing to fix it.

PS. I'm fat so I'm not judging
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I have now seventy more pounds to lose I have lost 450 pounds I am now training myself to run an Iron Man even if I do not place in 2012 or this august its my goal to make myself lose weight while I am running people make fun of me and I just laugh and move on. Who cares as long as I know.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• there are definitely medical issues that can contribute to weight gain, but theyre often rare, or caused by an initial excess in weight gain. the relaxed view of obesity is what is fueling the epidemic of childhood obesity and diabetes.
    youre not meant to be overweight, and staying fit and healthy should be a priority.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 3:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• pinkdragon, i think thats awesome, and would never consider you lazy, or laugh at you. i think it sucks people would laugh at someone for exercising. thats foolish.

good luck with iron man
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 3:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• well I am newly fat... first time in my life and i am thoroughly disgusted... gross gross gross. My clothing is literally double the size it was last year and it is 100% due to laziness.  Im not saying that because I am that way all fat people are... but I would guess that majority of people who are over weight are that way due to a lack of movement.

Anonymous