What age would you let your child have a phone, facebook, laptop?

what are your reasons thanks

NaiveDream

Asked by NaiveDream at 3:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on the situation.  I have heard of parents giving their 9 or 10 year old cell phones because they had visits or lived with the other parent.  Facebook and laptop probably high school.

Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 3:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Probably about 12 or 13. And that is only is they prove themselves responsible enough to have them.
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'm probably going to get bashed or voted down for this, but we got our 5 year old daughter a netbook for Christmas. She also has a facebook where eveything is private and her only friends are our immediate family (she loves to play the apps on facebook). My daughter plays a lot of educational games and I think that her having computer skills is beneficial to her future education. My opinion, my child. To each their own.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I was more strict with my older kids. They didnt get a cell phone unless they got a job and paid for it themselves. As for FB they only got those recently because before that myspace was big, but they were around 12 when I let them have that and it was very monitored. I had the passwords, and approved any friends. They are grown (17, 18 & 21) so I have to say now. I do have a 10 and 5 yr old and dont allow either of them FB, but they do use togetherville which is by FB for kids. As for cell phones, my 10 yr old will likely get one when he turns 11. Mostly for pure selfish purposes on my part.

Answer by gemgem at 3:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• call me old fashioned but i dont think that children should have a cellphone til they are old enough to have a job. I just dont see any other need than that for a child younger than that to have a cell phone we have so many problems with children not paying attention in class or causing problems thru bully texting and causing car accidents i think that most of these issues is b/c they have placed in the hands of kids that lack the mental capacity to know that it is a communication tool not a verbal weapon or a gossip device
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would say 16 unless you plan on supervising the child at all times my step father let my sister have one at the age of 14 she had all her info on there full address, name, & number! & another who also came into contact with a 35 year old man whom she exchanged numbers with we would have never known but her behavior changed a lot and i begin snooping and found out what she was doing the internet even social networking sites such as facebook are really dangerous i can go on and on just make sure you make the right decision for both you and your child! :-)
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My son had his 1st mobile at 12. He had many after school activities at this point and he could contact me more easily when he needed to/when time to pick him up..etc. By 13 he was taking the city bus/streetcar or walking back & forth to school by himself. He needed a phone not only to get in touch with me but also for emergencies.

His first laptop at 13 due to school needs. He attended a charter school for advanced/academically advanced students and he was required to have some specific software, and he also needed to have his own computer to keep all his files and a laptop was best for when he was at the library (and other places) doing research/taking notes..etc.

He didn't become involved with social networking sites (by his choice) until he was about 16.

Now at going on 20 and in college, he has far far more electronics/mobile devices than I do,.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I have a 12 year old and he doesn't have any of them. I told him he could have a phone when he started sports and activites. A facebook maybe in a couple years. I told him at Christmas if he would save his money I would pay half on a laptop for next Christmas. I think nowadays most kids are getting everything they ask for. So leaves them little room to work towards things they want for themselves. That helps them improve with responsibility. Thats just my opinion.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Facebook I say middle school....But I would have to have the pasword for it to check in on them.

Cellphone....High school because this is usualy when the after school things start such as sports etc.

Laptop....when they can buy it themselves. They do not need their own laptop. Both DH and I have one pluss we have a desktop family computer. So there is no need for another one.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• When my son was 14 he had a cell phone his own computer an xbox and whatever else he earned with his grades and he has proven responsibilty for all of them. Now he is going to be 18 in july he is graduating and after a six month period he is going into the Marines.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010