I need weaning advice

My daughter is 17 mo, and still very very intersted in nursing. (we believe she has Aspergers and that may be a big part of her not wanting to wean. not wanting the "change"). I need to wean her to start on a medication I need in order to function on a daily basis. I want to do it in as gentle a way as possible. All attempts so far leave her screaming for nursies and melting down. Any suggestions??

faeriemamma

Asked by faeriemamma at 11:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am a mother of a son with aspergers and a son with autism so i totally understand the melt downs. The breast must be switched with something that is worth it to your child. What does she like. That way it is a positive switch. Maybe have a couple of items and have her choose. I find that my kids like the choice because it helps them feel more in control. I also notice that my kids love squeezes to comfort them. Not sure if yours like the squeeze but if she does take her hands and gentley add soft pressure to her palms. This has been wonderful for my son with autism. Good luck mama :)
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 11:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I had to wean my son at 18 months because I was put on meds by the er. As hard as it is, just tell her she is a big girl now and uses sippies. I wouldn't suggest weaning to a bottle, because then you have to do it all over again. There are some great books at the library that are written for toddlers about giving up a bottle or being a big girl, you might want to try some of those... I haven't never seen one for weaning from nursing though. :(
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I know I am going to get flamed for this. I put chocolate milk in my sons bottle. It worked and he didn't get it all the time. He has no teeth issues because we were very careful about brushing. He wasn't on the bottle long after that. In hindsight I probably should have just gone straight to the tippy. Let us know how things go. :) Wish you the best.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2008