How can i get my kids to listen about the pets?

Before my husband deployed he brought home a dog. Well a puppy to be exact. I have four kids ages 8,7,6 and 5. The oldest has ADHD and my husband said that he got the dog for him to help with him with having more responsibility. We already have a kitten as well i might add. My problem is this i am having a hard enough time trying to potty train and run the household as it is, but for added stress it seems the kids undo all the things that i have accomplished with the dog. He pees CONSTANTLY in our dining room and thats b/c the kids either let him back inside too soon or out of his kennel. They also trap both the dog and cats in their room and so the cat and dog both pee/poop in their room or eat clothes or toys!! I am at my witts end with this i feel like i cant take it and dont know how to fix this or come to some middle ground before i can find the dog a new home. Please i need some advice!!

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 3:41 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Repetition. Children learn as we repeat ourselves and follow through with making sure they are listening and do what they should be doing. You can't just tell them and think they got it the first time.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Take them to the local animal shelter and have them volunteer!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• that may be something to consider although i kinda see that being more of a hassle than helpful my kids are really hyper when it comes to pets even tho we have always had/been around animals the dog thing is new for us as a pet but the kids have been around dogs.
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• my 8 year has adhd and odd and might have ocd and he does good with the puppy but some time he mean to her just to a chart for each of the kids to do with the dog like take turns takeing the dog out and how long to keep the dog out side
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i guess i forgot to mention that i have been doing this for a little over two months now so i have the repetition down, i just really think that with my husband deployed and them going thru that and already being hyper the dog wasnt a good fit. And yes my son did really well for him the first month i had my doubts TRUST ME but now it's "MY DOG" and he doesnt want to deal with the helping part but has no problem chasing around the house and then screaming when the dog grabs him by the pant leg and drags him!! I guess i am just severly frustrated with this whole situation b/c i didnt want the dog in the first place and my hubby wore me down and then left me to try and deal with this whole mess. Our first time apart from him did NOT go that well with the kids in itself and now the second time around he threw a dog and a cat in the mix!!!! ARRGGGGG!! sorry needing to vent i guess!!
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2010