Christians: What do you believe about tithing?

DH believes in tithing 10% like the Old Testament law said, but I was always taught that we should give what we can. We tithe 10% because he's the leader of our family and that's what he feels led to do and he earns a paycheck and I don't anyway!

I've not yet come to understand whether or not the tithing rules applies to us, but I can totally understand how tithing would bless the 90% that's left over so I'm good with giving 10% and I'm happy that we can contribute to God's work.

What do ya'll believe?

Here's a link about tithing I found...http://www.gotquestions.org/tithing-Christian.html

the_kimmers

Asked by the_kimmers at 3:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree w/ the 10% as well but I cannot afford to do so. And I couldn't even if I wanted to right now, I'm a single mom and I try to give us much as I can but if I gave 10% I wouldn't be able to pay my bills which are just my car phone and rent and daughter's school.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My church said that the tithe can include donations to charities as well and volunteer work.

Answer by Bmat at 3:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You can tithe with more than just money. You can tithe your time or (donate) your clothes or other items. Give what you have. Tithing isn't limited to Christians either. The concept of giving is Universal. The Universe gives back to givers. God blesses those who tithe. It's all good and open to everyone.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i think its about giving of what you have to help the church run itself. if you have $$ you give that, if you have time you give that...you do what you can. we dont have enough money to give anywhere near 10% (if we did we'd have to ask for help from the church every paycheck) so we volunteer by cleaning the building, donating items and other time related things. and we do give $ when we can.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• 10% no less. But you can also give what I call a Love offering which is whatever else you want to put into the offering plate. I also give for the building fund. Just whatever I can afford. But Jesus said to give to God what is God's. That is the 10%.
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• What are you you supposed to do if you don't have 10% matthew9?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• we donate what we can.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think that we are supposed to pay 10% as our tithe, and then if we are able to give any more it's considered an offering. I was always taught to give 10% of whatever I got before I spent any of it, and then have faith in God to provide the rest. If you truly can't make your bills (which to me means you aren't going out to eat at all, not paying for cable or cell phones, etc.) then I think God understands, because the Bible also talks about a man taking care of his family - but you should be working to better your situation. Until then, you should "tithe" in volunteer work.

Answer by missanc at 4:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I work a full time job and get paid pretty decent. I do tithe a certain amount but I do volunteer a lot so I guess that makes up for it.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• genagina - part of this concept of tithing is that you also have faith in the Lord that He will provide for you...I believe that if we give 10% even if we couldn't really afford it, that God would make it so that we could still pay our bills because He's capable of doing that and He promised us that He would provide our needs. Now, when we spend our money on wants and don't tithe because we couldn't afford it...well, then it would seem to me that God's not going to bless us because we're not blessing him...He gives us everything we have, He just wants a little bit of it back, but if we don't give it to him, He won't multiply it for us. Make sense?

the_kimmers

Comment by the_kimmers (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010