Is nondenominational really another denomination

I didn't put this in the debate section because I'm just curious about what the background and teachings are. Based on conversations with a co worker years ago I thought they were Baptist. IMO you really can't be nondenominational, your either part of another denomination or your a new denomination. What are the fundamental teachings of a nondenominational church?

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• the reason they call themselves non-denominational is b/c they dont teach all the same thing. a lot of times its different for each different church...theres no higher association outside the church. there are conservative non-denoms and liberal ones. when someone says they are non-denominational its just an easy way of saying "im not Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, LDS, JW, etc."

i mean heres the definition of denomination "a religious organization whose congregations are united in their adherence to its beliefs and practices". they are usually just one church...usually.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I go to a non denominational church meaning we are not part of an organised denomination such as baptist, methodist ect.
    We are under a covering so to speak. Denominations were never meant to be. In reality we are ALL part of the body of Christ. ( Christian churches)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• DH and I were both raised in the Baptist Church. When we quit going, we went to a non-denominational, and I can tell you honestly, there were MANY different denominations in it. We had several former Baptists, Assembly of God, Catholic, Mormon, Episcopal, Methodist, and even some former Atheists. There was no "one" religion taught,what we learned was simply from the Bible. We studied the Bible in depth, we spent 8 months painstakingly studying Revelations. Our music was more Charismatic, but it was wonderful praise and worship. We no longer attend it, and were led by God from it to an Assembly of God congregation, where we feel very much at home, just as we did at the Non-denom.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• The definition of nondenominational is: Not restricted to or associated with a religious denomination.

As I understand it, nondenominational churches reject the 'doctrines' taught by many denominations, they look only to the Word and to God for leadership, instead of what men say...

Here's a site that gives some explanation to some thoughts on nondenominational churches...gotquestions.org

the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 4:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-denominational_Christianity

I go to a non-denominatinal church. I was raised Baptist. The pastor at the church was raised Baptist and also preached in Baptist churches before coming here. So our beliefs are more like Baptist beliefs.

Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 4:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think "non-denominational" is really its own denomination.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I believe that "non-denominational" is no denomination at all.To me it's that way anyhow.I don't go to any church.I don't follow any group or religious "leader" of any kind.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 2:21 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Non denominational also means that a church is self governing. There is no ruling organization that oversees the teachings and practices of a nondenominational church. The church as it was established by the apostles divine authority, should have elders as spiritual overseers, deacons to maintain the physical needs of the congregation ( the building, benevolent works, etc.), the congregation as whole worships and works together. But each congregation is self governing and their elders, deacons, preachers and individual members are and will be held accountable to God.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Thank you for the responses.
    RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• By the way ....

"doctrine" is simply the teachings that can be extrapolated from Scripture

"dogma" is the teachings of man that have been added APART from Scripture

Doctrine is not a bad thing, in fact it is a good thing ;-) Dogma is a bad thing.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010