My kids aren't perfect - does that make me a bad mom??

My family are judgemental.... They are rude and they like to boss others kids around.... My family has always been rude about my sons.

My oldest (9) was always a handful, they always talked about him to me and made me out to be such a bad mom. We found out 2 years ago that he has bipolar disorder, anxiety and ADHD. They gave me a slight break...

My 4 year son is wild and he spends a lot of time in time out. He really is okay most the time at home, but around people when things are exciting (like Christmas) he can be a pain. He was very tired and a grumpy at Christmas and was rude to my mom (grabbed the Christmas tree on her shirt and threw a tissue at her). Everyone looked at him and me and I quickly took him to another room for a talk and time out.

Oh, my rude brother told my oldest to take out the trash after he opened his neat present...he said no.  I asked and he did it...  At least he  respects me :)

Bottom line... I cannot control his every move, I was horrified and embarassed by him, but I do try my best. Is it fair to judge others based on their kids???

Thanks for the feedback, Christmas sucked :(

jalex

Asked by jalex at 4:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It makes you NORMAL. Is your family perfect?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My son has also ADHD and his dad's family refuses to accept it. I've learned to just smile and nod when they say something. My thought is, THEY'RE not perfect, how dare they demand that my child be? (Even though, as his mom, I think he is!)
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My daughter is rude sometimes too..and I feel the exact same way. She behaves most of the time, but when she is in one of her "moods" it seems like there is nothing I can do to make it better...except maybe remove her from the situation. The answer to your question, no I dont think that makes you a bad mom. You know that you are trying your best, so that is all that matters. Good Luck!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree.. it makes you human.. My son is 3 and quite the handful and although my parents know I am doing the best I can for him, they make me well aware just how difficult he is and comments all the time and it makes me just as mad.. so I decide not to go over often or make the visits less and less and for shorter amounts of time.. I know wtih holidays it is hard to help ,.. sorry..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Thanks for your comments, ladies :) It can be so hard to raise kids. TARARENEE - No, they are certainly not perfect.... I find the more problems some people have, the more they want to talk about what is wrong with you/your kids...
    jalex

Comment by jalex (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• maxsmom11807, don't you just love the "wow, he's a handful", or "wow, he's busy" comments? Gee, really? I didn't know.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It is normal. My son is blunt wich often gets taken for being rude. NO he is not rude...he just does not sugarcoat things.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• which*
    Mom2Just1

• No child i going to be perfect. You as a mom isn't going to be perfect. Children don't come with instructions nor do you know how to deal with every situation perfect. Thr only thing we as mom can do is do the best we can to raise our kids the best way we can.I have a 7yr old and she can be a handful at times and some times she can be a good helper.I never expect for her to e good all the time but there are things i expect for her to alread know bc I taught her over the years like to respect older people, to tell the the truth, to come to me if she has a problem, clean her room,bathroom,and do her homework. I never won't her to be perfect if she is she is not my child. You is a good mom even if you kids are not good all the time.
    strongnbrave

Answer by strongnbrave at 4:55 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• no ones kids are perfect!!
    not one parent on this planet is perfect!!
    if they cant deal with it then oh well.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010