Does your child have a "monster" in their room?

...mine does! My 4 year old claims there is a monster in her room. She shares her room with her 2 yo brother who isn't aware of the monster. But almost every night, she comes to me early morning because she is scard of the monster. What can I do to help her stay in her own bed?

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 4:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no.. i tell them that diosito is taking care of them. so they never worry abt that
    deyrita09

Answer by deyrita09 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My son says there's ghosts in his room lol.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I can tell you what my husband used to do. My oldest was terrified by the 'monster' in his room. I think he was really just stressed because my husband was due to deploy again soon. My husband went out back and got a small dead branch. He smoothed the ends and told my son it was a 'monster stick' Every night as part of bedtime routine he would wave it in the air, under the bed and in the closet and say "monster, monster go away, never come again this day". It worked. We had a little wrinkle when Dad was gone again. My son said "only Daddies can make a monster stick work" Soo, we had my husband make a recording of Him saying the words...and he was okay with that. Monsters are a real thing to kids. We didn't play into the fear...as much as redirect the focus.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My son is 3 and see's "grandpa" who he says is now a monster since smart mommy made "monster spray" so that's what he says now, that he is scared of the monster - I have 2 night lights, one is blue one is green, he has a LED single bulb flashlight he sleeps with and I put 2 pictures of us as a family on his wall next to his head and a dream catcher and I spray his room with the "monster spray" every night before bed.... ugh... good luck!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Buy a spray bottle. Fill with water and put a label on it that says Monster Remover. My son will spray under his bed and in the closet before he goes to sleep. At first it was to keep them away, now hes not afraid of them but wants to give them a drink :)
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Nope, but he insists there is one in Daddy's office. He won't go near it if the lights aren't on.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• nightly thing to do......show her before bed that there isnt anything under the bed,in the closet,behind the door,etc.....i did it with my son and it worked
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010