do you watch what your children watch on tv.

I more refering to things like the new 90210 and Gossip Girl. I think they are too suggestive and not for young ones or young teens. I think that they have too much hooking up and girls going from one boy to another. I have seen on the news where they link over sexed tv to pregnant teens. So why are they soo popular my children are still young but if they were 14 I would not allow it. So do you let you child watch or not watch. Do you think it matters?

Jenlos

Asked by Jenlos at 11:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have a 14 yr old so I can answer this like youre looking for. I limit that type of tv watching. We have not watched 90210 or Gossip girl because of that. I have a very very mature 14 yr old. Shes always been that way and the things that her and her friends talk about totally mortify me so I try to limit her tv watching. She doesn't need anymore info right now...LOL...Her and I did get into watching Degrassi, but Ive been watching that since I was 14 on Public television. ITs a little out there and I do think they go beyond whats necessary for parent/teen discussion. THey will never go past the "sex sells" theory. It does and they are going to use it. Yes I do think that it promotes more mindsets that are not healthy. Theres a lot of hooking up and casual sex and I am not for that at all. We just monitor it frequently.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i dont have kids that age but my mother let us watch whatever we wanted because she talked to us about it all and we understood what could happen if it were to happen to us...i think i will let my kids watch things like that cause i know what i will teach them as they grow up
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 11:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My girls are too young to worry about those shows. But when the time comes I wouldn't keep them from watching shows, like Gossip Girl and the new 90210, yes they show a lot of sex and suggestion but as a parent I am responsible for how my children are raised so they should already know how to date responsibly. If you educate right and keep an open communication with your children no Hollywood entertainment should break that bound.

So yes I would let them watch it.

Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My girls watch the Disney Channel and Nickelodian, it's always on in our house.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• To the mom whose child is too young......you are saying this now, but wait until your daughter is 14.....youll change your mind. IT DOES effect them. You HAVE to monitor what your kid watch. If you think that the tv is less of an influence than your parenting, then youre naive. The only way it can be more is to turn it off....other than that....hollywood has more power than you think. I have been naive too and now that my daughter has started highschool, I am waking up. I no longer trust her farther than I can throw her. Not because she untrustworthy, but because shes 14. We have a good relationship, but sometimes I gotta pull stuff out of her and prove to her that I won;t overreact. SO very very hard. My gut is to overreact but I get more dialogue when I act unsurprised that they throw the word WHORE around like its nothing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2008