Am I a negligent parent because

I do not know all about the shows on Nick Jr. This is the only channel she watches. She does watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy and Dancing with the Stars with me. She watches Nick about 10 minutes before preschool and about 30 minutes in the afternoon before dinner. But I do not know the people in Dora or Blues Clues or Leilan. I tend to tune them out. Should I be sitting down and watching them with her?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 4:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Entertainment

• I really think you should make an effort to watch some of them with her or at least let her watch them while you're doing something in the same area so you can tune in. I only tell you this because once they hit the ages of 5 or 6 like my son, they are very influenced by what they see. My son always wants to watch disney shows that aren't age appropriate and my husband who thinks that because he's watching the Disney channel anything goes. Believe me, it doesn't especially because of the comercials I've seen and heard things on both shows and commercials that I defenitely do not approve of. He's 6! Most of the shows that aren't cartoons are intended for pre-teen to teenage years. Don't be fooled by the cartoons either, the constant use of the word stupid bothers me because I don't want my son thinking it's ok to talk that way and you know he'll get in big trouble at school for saying it, yet it's cool on kid's tv?
    nqmochafrappe

Answer by nqmochafrappe at 6:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes, you should at least occasionally watch the shows with her. It'll give you some interesting conversations with her, believe me.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• The fact that you worry if your a good parent tells me that you are not negligent. When my kids are watching tv I know what is on and have seen the show before but do not feel the need to monitor every second of it. I use that time to clean the house etc.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 4:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I try to watch at least one or two episodes of a show with my child that way I can determine if it is appropriate for them to watch. After I figure out if they should watch the show, then I occasionally watch a min or two of the show.
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 4:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Ah I hate those shows. I do know all the Characters, but I don't watch them.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• When I have time I sit down a watch how he interacts with them but usually when he is watching I am doing housework. It dosen't make you a bad mom
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 4:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It couldn't hurt to watch a couple of times just to know who's who- but then enjoy tending to the many other jobs of being mom while she is being temporarily entertained. You are not a neglectful mom b/c you dont know who "Boots" is. (BTW - it's Dora's monkey friend) :) So stop beating yourself up- we have society for that!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I know most of them bc I'm a sahm. I watch with her sometimes. I must say they do teach her too. We also read and play each day. But tv is fine as long as it's kid appropriate shows.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My kids are into Icarly and things like that. I tell them when I have seen the episodes two or three times they need to watch something else.Lol. Because I know they have seen it more than me. But no, it doesn't make you a bad mom.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It might be useful to watch them a couple times, but preschool shows are not exactly entertaining for grownups. I usually work on my laptop while my daughter watches preschool shows.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010