When your mother-in-law has an issue...who does she talk to?

My mother-in-law does not live in the same state as us. But, whenever she has a concern about my husband and my decision regarding our kids, she calls me and voices her opinion to me..then tells me to tell my husband to call her. I feel that if she has an issue with "us" she should talk to her son. What does your mother-in-law do?

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 4:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I dont know that my mil has had an issue with the way Im raising my kids.  I guess if she has an issue she talks to her husband.. but I really dont know.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• She certainly doesn't talk to me. My MIL lives on the opposite coast so I don't see how my way of raining my kids is any of her business anyhow.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My mil butted out a long time ago. GL but been there. She usually would complain to my husband.Not me, but I hear ya.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would politely tell her to mind her own business. The children are yours, not hers and you will raise them as you see fit. If you want her opinion you will ask for it, otherwise she can deal with it.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My MIL and I are really close. I often call her mom on here if I have a story. My mom passed away when I was young and she took over that role and I repect any opinion she has. They say that if you have a problem with your in laws to have your husband talk to them, but I personally find it easier to talk to her about it. Depends on how close and open you are with her.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My MIL will call everyone in our family and all of her friends and tell them. At least that is what she did when she disagreed with me breastfeeding. Now I smile and nod when she gives me advise and then I go on with my merry way and let her advise and issues go right out of my mind :)
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If my MIL has an issue with me and her voicing her opinion to me doesn't work she'll call my husband. If she has an issue with my husband she'll talk to my husband. If your MIL has an issue with you, she should talk to you. If she has an issue with you and your husband, then she should go to either you or your husband.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• While she was alive, she NEVER gave advice or even called us. (They liked to save money) We aren't the kind of family that gives advice. LOL. We mind our own business. Thank goodness.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My MIL is awesome. She minds her own business and does not intefer with our parenting.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• she talks to my husband and then to me.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2010