ABA services..

anyone use them before? How did it work out? Did you have assistance or pay out of pocket. What did the cost look like? For a 6 year old boy with Asperger's/ODD/ADHD. Behavior issues with parents mostly. School has gotten much better. At home and in stores we have MAJOR issues. I just need help learning how to parent him more effectively.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• You say he is good at school, so that probably means his teachers are aware of his diagnosis and have been trained to work with that in the classrooms,well you should also be getting that training. That is the great thing about ABA, it is done in your home so he can learn how things should be done there just like at school, AND you can listen and learn and will also be involved in some of the therapy. You will have the ability to request certain goals to be worked on and understand how to help him and the whole family get there. There is very little these days that should be done individually, it usally takes a family, support team, and so on.
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 6:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• what is ABA?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Insurance doesn't pay for it. Medical assistance does. My son has health insurance through his dad and I had to apply for MA for him to cover the therapy and the TSS.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 5:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• He is on medicaid. Well state care Peachcare/wellcare.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• They should pay for it. Are they hasseling you? As long as you have a diagnosis from a developmental pediatrician or a psychiatrist (we have both), they should cover it.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 5:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Applied behavior analysis.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I have no checked I called one and they told me most don't take insurance AT ALL so I just emailed another. I will call wellcare this week I guess to see what they say.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Applied Behavior Analysis
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 5:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Insurance won't cover these services because they are ongoing (it's ridiculous). That's why most of them don't take insurance.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 5:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I feel like I am at my wits end. I don't understand why he is 'good' at school but so so bad at home. He has started biting now! And threatening to kill me and his sister. He says he only loves daddy and hates me and his sister. Don't get me wrong he acts up for dad to though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2010