What can I do about this situation?

Okay, my husband somehow overdrafted the account...he said though that he had enough in there but the bank kept adding more and more fees even after he put the money in there to cover what they said would cover it! Now he owes them $300 in fees. What can he do? He doesn't really have the money...he gets paid wednesday but he has bills to pay. I told him that he should go up to the bank and explain to them what happened and see if they would see the problem and cut down the cost. Because it is their fees that he is in debt with. I argued this with him..he doesn't think its going to do anything...I said you could at least try but he just doubts it so he is not going to do anything about it other than trying to sell his truck to get the money to pay for it! The problem is they are going to keep charging daily! Honestly, I think he needs to stand up and take action and go talk to someone high in the company!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

• Let him know this is what happened to me. I sent payment to our mortgage company, it kept reading that it didn't go through, because they held a deposit rather then posting it immediatly.. Then I got on the phone with the people at the mortgage co. They said "OH we won't send it again, don't worry, just do a new payment over the phone." So, I had them do a phone payment. It went through. THEN, the original went through. SO I had paid the mortgage twice. YIKES, No I can't afford that, everything started bouncing. I racked up about 500 in fees! I contacted the mortgage co. they refunded me my money, but while I was waiting, I went to the bank and talked to the manager. She cancelled all the fees and put a watch for new fees on my account. That left me with just enough for bread, milk and gas until my mortgage was refunded. Talking to them really does help. Try it!!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• You are right. Sometimes the bank will adjust fees if you talk to them. My brother and sister just recently had this same argument. (my sister saying what you are saying) My brother finally gave in and went to the bank. They refunded over $200.

If this doesn't work try a pay day loan to pay the bank and stop the fees. Pad day loans are much cheaper than bank charges and you may not have to sell the truck.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Sometimes the bank will refund the charges, or atleast refund some of them.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 11:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Bank managers have the authority to waive fees. Going to the bank in person and speaking directly with the manager is the best way to accomplish that. Going in person makes it a lot harder for them to say No.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 11:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I hate to say this, but sometimes people are in a situation where the bank will not work with you and you simply cannot afford these charges. In that case, I would suggest you stop all automatic transactions and stop depositing any type of money in the bank.... Stop using the bank, and start paying the charges back as you can afford them. Sometimes, it's the only way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Sounds like wells fargo bank. I was using them and i made a deposit that day before the cutoff time and they charges me $35.00 because they saw that a check was going to come through that day before i made the deopsit even though they say deposits go in before debits if made before the cutoff time. They are a terrible bank. It may be worth talking to them and explaining the situation. But in the mean time i would n' put no more money in there and look for another bank. Good Luck
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 5:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Huntington is the best bank. They don't do that, and the online banking and bill pay is great. And the customer service reps are usually very nice and helpful. We switched banks for a while and had a few check bouncing nightmares...then we switched back to Huntington...much better. We also convinced my sister to switch to Huntington. She likes them better too.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 6:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• P.S. Never get an account with Star Bank. They are awful!
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 6:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• well me and my boyfriend broke up after 5yrs we had a car that was in his name he wouldnt help me out so i used is credit card without him knowing i love him and miss him what should i do will he forgive me
    Anonymous