What should I do with this dog?

My MIL had a stroke the other day. She has a maltipoo puppy that is about 8 months... I think. Anyway, my mil is going to be in short-term rehabilitation for awhile, we don't know exactly how long. We volunteered to take care of the dog temporarily because no one else can. This dog is not trained AT ALL. It uses a pee pad, but prefers to poop on the carpet. The biggest problem is that we are leasing our condo and we are not allowed to have a dog here. If it ruins our carpet, or damages our place we are going to lose our security deposit. Not to mention that I am pregnant and have a 2 year old. I do not need to be cleaning dog poop and trying to train it.
I told my elderly mil not to get a puppy in the first place because I knew she would not be able to train it. Now I do not even know if she be able to take care of it when she gets home. I really want to find another home for the dog, but she's really attatched to it. I have no clue what to do with it.... but it can't stay here!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pets

• A small dog like this could easily be crated in a bathroom or laundry room area for the time being, until mil is recovered. Get a vari kennel plastic dog crate and the dog won't do damage to your floors, carpet or walls. If you have the dog out of the crate, keep it on a leash and that will solve any problems you have of the dog potentially destroying your home while in your care.

If that is not an option then find a boarding kennel and board the dog.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Ugg, that's hard. It seems like you could potentially be the bad guy for a no-fault of your own situation. Good luck to you. 

If I were you, I would find the dog a new home after, of course, telling my MIL my intentions.  If she knows of someone who would be willing to foster an untrained dog until she is well enough to take it back, then fine.  If not, it is not even an option for you to do it.  She is old enough to know the facts of life. 

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If she has money you could take it to a pet boarding facility?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You could also check w/ the animal shelter and see if there is someone that would foster.
    genagina

• Whatever lady - you knew it was still a puppy and not housebroken when you took it in. Your attitude does very much show you hate this dog. You should have made other arrangements if this were going to disrupt your life so badly.

Find a foster home for the poor thing before you terrorize it; I don't for one second believe your attempting to correct the behavior in a positive manner; rather from your tone I fully believe your simply berating and scaring the heck out of it!

Seriously it's just as easy to do a google search as it is to post on CM!
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=836&q=multipoo+rescue+foster&aq=f&aqi=m1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• What do you do when it soils on your floor? Do you correct it in a positive manner (since you've stated you don't want to correct it; I think that unlikely) or are you yelling at it? That would scare and terrorize a small dog; and only make the training that much harder. You obviously don't know much about raising small/young animals; fine you MIL's illness was unexpected; but the puppy's behaviour is not and you are acting like a spoiled teenager.

Either do the click the link and do the searches to find an understanding safe foster home for him; or tell your MIL you're putting it up for adoption because you've made it more than clear it's not welcome in your home; why you didn't do that in the first place is beyond me.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If she is really attached to the puppy then please don't try and find a new home for it. Your MIL seems to be going through enough struggles right now and to come home and find her dog gone would be awful. This is her companion and even though she may be old enough to know the facts of life, it would be heartbreaking. Is the puppy crate trained? Can you use a crate for the puppy to stay in for a little while? Of course, letting him for walks outside. Also do you have a room without carpet, if accidents were to happen then the clean up would not be so bad. Hopefully you can come up with something I would hate to see this puppy given to another home.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I will not allow this dog to ruin my house. I will not allow this dog to crap on my floor knowing that I will have a newborn rolling around on it it a couple months. The dog is not crate trained. I will not allow this dog to get me evicted from my home, or lose my security deposit. Sorry, but animals do not run my life.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I felt bad for you until reading your follow up comments. If you dislike animals so much - which you've made abundantly clear you are *not* an animal person - why did you even bother to bring the poor thing home in the first place???

Do you get it's just a 'baby' itself and needs to be taught? It isn't the dog's fault it wasn't properly housebroken before someone who hates it brought it into their home.

Contact a local rescue center and tell them the problem and ask if they have any referrals to foster homes until your MIL recovers - please get that poor dog out of your house and away from you.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'm with beachmamaof2- i did feel for you until your second comment! WOW........ you had to of known that the Puppy was Not trained when you offered to take care of it for your MIL- if you were not going to follow through with your promise; you should of told her exactly what you just said here-" You will not allow a dog to Ruin your home,You will not allow the dog to crap on your floor where your newborn will be rolling around,You will not allow the dog to get you evicted or lose your deposit, & Animals do not run your life" i am sure the problem would of been Solved & she would of Never let you take care of it- Finding it a New Home while your MIL is in a Short-Term Rehab would be the Meanest Thing you could do but then you are SO Right- The dog Can Not stay with You!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010