What do you think?

What does everyone think about allowance ? How much? Should some be saved, to teach about saving?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think there should be "Extra" chores done around the house to earn it. I would make this aside from regular chores that are part of being a family. I think it also depends on much on the age. I would make two jars for them. One they have to set aside half to save and the other half they are free to spend.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My nephew is 9 and gets 9 dollars a week and has to save 4.50 of it and then can spend the rest.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I went to a private school where they would evaluate our academic performance, chores, and attitude, and score us on a 1-3 every day on each. the lowest we could get would be a 0 for the entire week and the most we could get would be 63... so if we got a 21 for the week, we would get a lot less money than if we got a 55 for the week, you choose how much money (I suggest 9 dollars at most for the best performance per week) and put away the % you take away for taxes in a normal job, except you put it in a bank account for college spending money... it's not much but it'll add up to around 300 bucks give or take a few bucks when she's out of highschool
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 5:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My daughter is 10 and gets $3 / wk-
    nomistakes

Answer by nomistakes at 1:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Both of my kids get allowance. They get their age in dollars each week. 50% goes straight into their pockets for spending, saving, whatever. The other 50% goes directly into their bank accounts and they're only allowed to spend that money with parent approval.

I tell my children that school is their job and should always be priority number one. Personal hygiene, feeding/watering the animals, and basic picking up after themselves is their household responsibility. Anything extra like vacuuming, dishes, laundry, windows, bathing the dog, cleaning the hamster cage, etc. is what they earn their allowance for.
    FishBiscuit

Answer by FishBiscuit at 3:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2008