sister in law Parenting style?

my sister in law stays at home with her kids and she picks up after them and let them back talk to her and be short with her along with other people as well, ect. I DO NOT let my kids do things like that. When my kids go over my kids are starting to act like them when they come home and I don't know what to do I have told my sister in law not to let them talk back ect. She just bribes the kids and I do not know what to do I NEED HELP SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
her kids are7 and 4 my kids are 6 and 4

Tdaycare6678

Asked by Tdaycare6678 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Stay there with your kids and be sure that they behave to your standards. Perhaps your influence will help her kids and her. You would have the influence rather than she and her kids.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Limit the time your kids are over there. When it comes to her and her kids it's really non of your business how she raises/diciplines them. If you don't like it, don't take your kids over there. Invite them to your house.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 6:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Explain over and over calmly and lovingly to your children what the rules are in your home, what acceptable behavior is, and it doesn't matter what goes on in someone else's home.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I won't let my kids go anywhere near to my SIL. Probably we would have the same problem than you have now. We had many problem before so I just ignore her parenting style and I don't let mine anywhere close to her. It works well:P
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would limit the time your kids spend there, and if possible, stay there with them. If you are there, you can make sure that your kids behave the way you expect them to. She may not care how her kids act, which may be hard for your kids to understand after seeing their cousins act like that. However, there is not too much you can do.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Not much you can do besides not let them go over there or have her kids over to play instead. My sil has no rules at her house. And she lets my kids know it. She says, "what happens at AJs house stays at AJs house" (AJ being Aunt Julie). We were there for a weekend this summer and kept trying to get our kids (10, 8, 7 and 4 at the time) to behave and she kept turning around and saying they didn't have to listen to us. She let them stay up until 2am running all over, drink nothing but soda, eat junk food only, cake for breakfast, etc. Drove me nuts and every time we tried to correct it she'd go behind our back and tell them to do it anyway. We rarely go to visit (that was the first time in 3 years) partly because of this. My kids come back acting like crazy people.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• my kids are always a little different after they spend a lot of time with someone else. i am just pretty tough on them when they first get home, thats all. i wouldn't stop the cousins from having relationships with each other. just make sure your kids understand what you expect from them. and when your sil's kids come to your house you do the same.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• well your kids are old enough to know better but... you could limit visiting time or even supervise the time when they go over.... if that is how she wants her kids to treat her then so be it... but they don't need to treat you that way... and niether do your kids... so you need to also have a talk with your kids about that letting them know it's not right.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• don't bring your kids over there
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• There is not much you can do about her parenting style if she doesn't seem to see an issue with it. I would just limit the time my kids spent with her and the kids. When they are at your house though insist they follow your house rules. I have a SIL who is similar and her kids are rather well behaved at our house when I babysit because they know I won't put up with that stuff.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2010