My nephew has a fever of 101.8-102*F; What do I need to do and when do I need to take him to the doctor?

I have given him some Mortin 30 min. ago, I took off his p.j.'s

JazzyJ1995

Asked by JazzyJ1995 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is a helpful link if you can't talk to his parents or a Dr. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082100.asp 102 is when I normally give a fever reducer.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• also a nice cool bath will help to.... but even switching every 4 to 6 hours to tylonal and then motrin will also help too...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It takes up to and hour or so for medicine to work. 101 -102 is not that high of a temperature really.  The temperature should lower in less then an hour.

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• give him cool or cold drinks. My kids dr. always said popcycles were great for fevers.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• you can try cool wash clothes under each arm pit. Remember that a fever is actually trying to do the body good (as long as it doesn't get too high) I would call the childs Doctor before you do anything, like going to the ED
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Well since you posted this in the 5-8 age range I am guessing he is 5 or older. Our doc says let the fever do it's thing and DO NOT medicate until they hit 104 and then give motrin and if that doesn't help then alternate with tylenol. If it still doesn't come down below 104 then go to the ER. If below 104 give plenty of fluids and let the child rest as much as possible, try cool compresses if he is uncomfortable.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• 102 is when i give ibuprofen.....if the child is acting normal eating playing a bit, etc... i wouldnt take him to the dr. its when the child is acting abnormal that i do, unless other reasons arise.

my pedi told me the same thing, theyd rather see a child that is acting abnormal with a lowgrade fever than a child with a high fever acting normal...

id also keep him warm, put his clothes back on, when i have a fever, i am freezing!!!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You didn't need to do anything. Fever is the way the body fights infection. Germs grow best at body temp. If you give meds or do other things to lower a fever then you the germs can grow best. If you let the fever alone then the germ growth will slow or stop. Fever is not a concern until 105 and doesn't cause damage until 107 or 108.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You need to keep an eye on that fever because that usually means the body is fighting off an illness of some kind. And it could be due to any childhood illnesses. If he needs an antibiotic because of the illness then it would be a good idea to take him to the doctor but that's should be only if you think h';s not getting better using an over the counter medicine.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Ditto to Gailll, I wouldn't give anything at this point. His fever is not really high and giving him meds is only going to stop the fever from doing its job. Fighting off whatever he has going on.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2010