Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I increase my chances of a vaginal birth with twins?

Answer Question

Asked by Milamojamoja at 6:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • walking and doing some excercies.

    Answer by Lynnsae at 7:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • You need to find a doctor willing to let you give it a try. Most of them will go for the safe c section.

    Answer by older at 7:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • Contact a childbirth educator, La Leche League Leader, or other person that knows about doctors in your community and ask about doctors that have low C-setion rates and are open to the idea of twin vaginal birth. Find a doctor open to twin vaginal birth. Check the hospital policies in your area. Hire a doula or other professional to be with you and be your advocate during labor and delivery. Take childbirth classes and attend La Leche League meetings during pregnancy. Read, read, read. Do the 4 important prenatal exercises all women should do. Don't go on bedrest.


    Answer by Gailll at 7:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • homebirth! that is how i did it! we had a back up hospital plan, but not all dr's were comfortable delivering twins vaginally. also, some hospitals do not even allow it. maybe try to find an older dr., that has delivered breech babies, and possibly even twins before. it is pretty important to go full term, so eat eat and eat some more! i read the book what to expect when expecting twins, triplets and more, and the dr. that wrote the book said malnutrition was most likely why so many multiples are premature.
    congratulations on your pregnancy!

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • A C-section is major surgery and has all the risks of major surgery. Twins can be born safely vaginally.


    Answer by Gailll at 7:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • Find a midwife or doctor willing to do it and someone who has s history of doing it in the past. Make sure they are okay with delivering breech as one twin is often breech. Hire a doula to be on your side (the SO is not always a good support person when the doctors are pulling the dead baby or mother card).

    Answer by aeneva at 7:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • I agree with happy2. Find a midwife, hospital rules will bar a doctor from delivering twins vaginally especially if one is breach.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • Midwives have a higher vaginal delivery rate. Find a midwife who does twins. There are usually twin "specialists" if you ask around.

    There is a group here called Birth Is Normal that helps moms get educated on out of hospital births. If you are planning in birthing in a birthing center or home, those women have birthed twins. There is also a natural childbirth group that helps support moms birthing naturally in a hospital.

    Answer by ecodani at 8:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • Do not hire a surgeon (OB) to attend your maternity care.
    (This goes for everyone though.)
    But you can hire a normal birth specialist. Even avoid the environment where it's more likely to happen, too. Opting to avoid the hospital would be wise, too.

    Answer by doulala at 8:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2010


    Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.