What do you think?

What do you give your kid for allowance? Should an allowance be given? Should some be saved to teach about savings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• My son is 15 and started the "can I have 20 bucks" like 3 days a week to go places with friends, so we started giving him $25/week so he had to learn how to prioritize his spending. He can also work with DH sometimes to earn extra money. As he is close to 16 he decided on his own to put some of it away to save for a car.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I think that yes kids should be rewarded with an allowance for doing a job. Giving them an allowance can teach them about money and how to handle it. The older they get the more money they should make but the more difficult their jobs should be. If at age 5 your kid has to pick up his toys you pay him $3.00 for the week but at age 15 the kid should be made to clean his whole room, dust vacum etc etc and earn $20.00.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 10:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I think it is fine giving your child an allowance but I think it should be based on the number of chores he/she has to do. My 14 year old grandson is not getting his allowance anymore because #1 he has been very disrespectful to his mom, won't listen to anything she says and tells her to shut up and #2. he hasn't done any of his chores lately. My daughter is a single mom and has done so much with him and his friends and they are more respectful to her than her own Son is. He father is out of the picture most of the time. When Grandson does go to see his dad and helps him at work his dad will usually pay him. But right now he has to learn a lesson. If he wants respect he has to show respect.

flutterby.16

Answer by flutterby.16 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my youngest is 16 yrs old we don't give him money because he has a job however he still has chores to do when he does them he gets rewarded like pizza for him and a couple of friends giving an allowance that has truly been earned should be rewarded it does two things it teaches them how to use money and prioratize their spending budget
    susan19966

Answer by susan19966 at 1:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• No money for things that are their jobs like cleaning rooms, picking up toys..ect...Thats their stuff and its their job. Helping with other things like laundry or bathrooms or other things that I don't usually make them do, then I will give them money. I am getting ready to start a new job part time and I have decided that they are going to do more and I will give all 3 of them a weekly allowance for getting it done while dad and I are at work.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2008