Yellow Mucus?

So starting this morning about 3 am I noticed that my 5 week old baby couldnt open his right eye it was stuck together with crusties and I had to wipe it away with warm water. I noticed along with ath there was tiny spots of mucus on his eyeball and in the corner. I just thought it might be from spitting up. But then about 8 am after sleeping a long while it showed up again and this time the tiny spot of discharge was kinda green. I asked my mom about it and she said not to worry about it. But later again after a long period of sleep baby woke up with discharge and crusties. this time the small piece of mucus was yellowish. idk what to think. theres no other sympotoms with this. his eyes are clear and he doesnt seem to be in pain. Anyone have this happen or may know what it is?

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 7:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes a baby's tear ducts don't work well and the baby will have problems with the eyes. You can try putting breastmilk in the eyes. Breastmilk is sterile and is known to help with eye problems. If it is a duct problem it may get better as your baby gets older. You can go on a medical website like the one Dr. William Sears has to read more info. The La Leche League website also has info about breastmilk and eye problems.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Sounds like a clogged duct. Use breast milk to rinse out the eye three times a day. It will go away.

My DD had the same problem. I pumped a huge 4 oz bottle of milk and then flushed her eye with the whole 4 oz bottle. The next day the clog was gone and never came back. My pediatrician suggested this.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Sounds like a clogged duct. You can use breastmilk to flush it out or if you don't breastfeed, just talk to you dr.
    DWACMom

Answer by DWACMom at 9:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i agree with pp
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2010