Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do about babysitting on New years?

I'm not doing anything for New Year's Eve. I am a licensed chidcare provider so I was thinking about putting an ad in Craigslist or somewhere letting people know I'd watch their kids for an hourly rate.
I could use the money but don't know if this is a wise decision. What do you think? My hubby will be home. He says he'd be nervous and want to make sure he was up when they came to pick up. Should I make them pay in advance? Do you think that would be an issue?
What issues do you see happening? Should I just offer my services to people I already know? (there isn't that many)

Added:  yes, it will be at my house.

Answer Question

Asked by Jambo4 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 19 (7,543 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • You should drive yourself. Why not have them bring the kids to you. Have a New Years Eve party for kids at your house.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 8:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • most people are going to get drunk on new years eve. there could be a chance that some parents will leave there child overnight with you. ive known ppl to do that. say they will get there kid at a certain time and not come till hrs later. paying in advance would be reasonable.

    Answer by youngmami07 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • well just be careful and it would be fine. i personally only do people i know but that is just me. but if your husband is with you that is fine.

    Answer by lambdarose at 8:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • Offer it to the people you know...

    Answer by rebeccadac at 8:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • Yes, cash only!

    Answer by sexyfancyface at 8:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • of the parents being to in toxicated would be mine.

    Answer by Lynnsae at 8:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • Asking for payment upfront is acceptable, discuss with the parents on whether or not you are willing to watch the children overnight as most people with plans to party will either drink and need to sleep in or would simply prefer an extra hour or two to sleep in the morning. If you're worried about a parent picking their child up while intoxicated you can always call the police before handing over the child.

    Answer by anon1986East at 9:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • I am a family child care provider and I ask for the money upfront in most situation... expecally if I haven't deal with that family in the past..... And p.s. I am watching the kids untl noon the next day (so the parents can sober up lol) and I put an add on my FB page and had a full 12 kids for new years eve in a matter of HOURS.

    Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • i read a good idea! offer over night. it mightbe hectic, but use your living room and have a camp out and a new yrs party for the kids. i would charge for the over night, not hourly. but that is a great idea!

    Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.