getting rid of the nuk???

My son is 18 months old and still uses a nuk for bedtime and naptime. It is his security item. We tried taking it away a month or two ago, and he flipped out. So we gave it back. But over the last few days he has started chewing through it, and I am afraid he is going to rip a big hunk off and choke on it. So I want to take it away for good, but I am dreading the process. Any suggestions? Putting holes or slices in it doesn't work - he still wants it just as badly. And replacing it with another loved item also doesn't seem to make any difference. Are we just doomed to a week of screaming tantrums at bedtime?

BlueFrogMama

Asked by BlueFrogMama at 11:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you should just throw them all away... it will be hard for a couple days.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 11:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Just throw them away is really all you can do. He will only miss them for a day maybe two. The first night is the hardest so i suggest doing it on a night that you have the next day off if you work.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• well with my son he had a teddy bear and a binkie , we just started takeing the binkie away during the day and then after a week or two took it away at night too. Other then when he is over tired he is just fine with going to bed with just his teddy bear. (might have cried for a night or two for a few min.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• When I talked to my pediatrician about this, she said, I can promise you your daughter will not graduate from college and still want her pacifier. That made me stop and remember our goal as a parent is to raise secure and productive members of society. If your child has a pacifier or any other security item until he/she is five years old, does it really matter? If it makes them feel safe and secure then why get rid of it? I can agree with restrictions, you only have it at bedtime or nap times, it stays in the room, but it is still there if you need it. It never felt right to me to take away their security just because I felt they were too old. If they needed it, they needed it and that was ok.
    momom22

Answer by momom22 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• momom22... I think you missed the point and I wonder if you actually read the question. I am not taking it away because I feel he is "too old". I agree with you that it's okay to keep using it if it works. But since he's chewing through them now, it no longer works. It's unsafe. That's the problem. I'm not comfortable putting my child to bed with a choking hazard every night.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• As everyone else said, just take it away and throw them in the garbage. Don't buy any more either. He's scream and cry for it, thinking you'll give it back because you have in the past, but you have to be the stronger one and not cave in. This is all a part of parenting. This is also one of the many reasons I never gave any of my children a pacifier.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Not to sound redundent but I agree. Take them away. We actually took my son to build a bear and stuffed it in a dog...binky dog...and while we were concerned that he might use that as an additional security item he did not. BUT beware...my son had stashed binkys all over!!! And he was only 18 months old!!! So look everywhere!

momom22...Your pediatrician is slightly retarted. I think it is absolutely wrong to see a child over the age of 2 with a binky in his/her mouth. Not only is it dentally harmful, but it is degrading to that child and their speech.
    ljliammama

Answer by ljliammama at 3:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my daughter never used nor like pacifiers or sucking her thumb even when she was born. well we had them around the house. but she started picking and hitting and biting herself and i noticed she started sucking on them and would not do that stuff. well her docotor suggested to give her a paci at 15 month to stop the behavior he sayed a paci is not as bad as what she was doing to herself and well try to take it away when she gets older and see if she has any issues. and i was a mom that nevre liked pacis cause 2+ year olds have them and look crazy. but her doctor sayed to and she has stoped so what ever works at this point.
    troubledkat911

Answer by troubledkat911 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008