Has any one used caster oil to induce labor?

I was just curious if anyone has successfully used it. Any possible side effects?

MissingHimIraq

Asked by MissingHimIraq at 8:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Possible side affect is you can make the baby come before he/she is ready. Wait until you go into labor on your own
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes there are some awful side effects.
    Directly causing dehydration can indirectly lead to many others.
    Like exhaustion, hemorrhaging, loss of consciousness, not getting to be with the baby for a few hours after birth for an IV, etc...

Not to mention getting *to* labor is hard...
    Convulsion on the toilet.
    Projectile vomiting (OUT THE OTHER END).
    Dry-heaving out your butt.

I encourage moms to remember there is a Very Important Reason why they are still pregnant.
    Baby isn't ready yet~ neither is the body.
    Adding unnecessary risks to mom & baby are unfair.

:-(

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I totally agree with doulala. Castor oil works by causing severe intestinal cramping, with *hopes* that it will encourage uterine cramping. When it stimulates YOUR bowels, it also stimulates your BABY'S bowels, meaning it greatly increases the risk of meconium, which can be aspirated by your baby and cause a laundry list of problems. You can become severely dehydrated due to the guaranteed diarrhea you will get if you try it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My induction date is a in a week, I was just curious if it would be safer to use a laxative then be medically induced.
    MissingHimIraq

Comment by MissingHimIraq (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Medically is always safer
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Why are they inducing you?
    I assume you're already trying the sex/walking method (most effective). You can also try raspberry leaf tea. I'm not a fan of induction, but castor oil is even more dangerous than pitocin or cytotec.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I took it no baby but couldn't stop running to bathroom
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 8:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Medical induction is much safer than trying to do things on your own. it's a controlled environment and they can be prepared for any emergency that may arise. Laxatives will dehydrate you and cause baby to have a bm in utero, If baby inhales any of that bm then he/she will be on antibiotics in the NICU for awhile. IT's NOT worth it to try to force labor. You've made it this far, another week is not going to hurt you. Just wait it out labor may start on it's own.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It does NOT WORK and don't try it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I took it along with many many other things to avoid an upcoming c-section. i don't suggest you take it though. especially not alone. trying to avoid a medical induction is different from trying to avoid a c-section. it worked well for me, but i don't suggest if for anyone else. gladly everything was fine, i ended up having the natural drug free vaginal birth of my dreams but sometimes i look back and wonder "what was I thinking".
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2010