How Can I Help Boost My Daughter's Self Confidence?

My daughter is 12 years old almost 13.I find it pretty normal for most teens to be a little jealous of girls.But all of my daughter's friends are really secure about their appearences.I tell her all the time how beautiful she is,and so does the rest of her family and friends.But she doesn;t believe any of us.So when ere in this condition I think its bad,but when she starts talking about how she wishes she had everything this girl (Who is a singer,her name is Jasmine Villegas;you can find her on youtube) <~~Jasmine is a really pretty girl.But my daughter gets sooo jealous.But she keeps listening to her songs and upsetting herslef.WHat can I do to prove to my daughter she is as beautiful if not more beautiful than this girl?Please help!God bless!

KimKards

Asked by KimKards at 8:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• What if you took her for a day of spoiling? Get her hair done, get her some new clothes, let them apply some light makeup to her? Maybe have her pictures taken?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• this is normal.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• She has to find her own talent so she can feel the confidence. It's not about what you tell her. Help her find her talent.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• sounds to me like she has self esteem issues. I would try asking her how this low self confidence came about. Maybe its derived from something else....maybe she feels that way because somebody made her feel less than she is.All you can do is try to understand whats causing her to be so hard on herself. Remind her that everyone has their own physical attributes that make them beautiful Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. It she feels in on the inside she will see it on the outside. No one can make her feel beautiful if she doesnt feel it herself.
    MsBrazil86

Answer by MsBrazil86 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• all you can do is continue to tell her how pretty she is, and how loved she is. She is obviously going through a stage..and I hope she will get through it. If it continues to happen, get her someone to talk to. I am one that hates it when people say get them therapy...but maybe talking to someone would help her.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My honest opinion is do nothing. I have three grand daughters 13, 11, and 6. It seems two of the three are doing the same thing. They are also beautiful and have been told so. Maybe she is just working that teen magic. So my advice is do nada. Remember mom it's not your job to say she is beautiful..she will not figure that out for awhile. Being a teen is like being a toddler, they are one in the same really. You can never scramble the right egg with teens....lol.

you rockMichelle

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 11:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Ask her what she like to do for fun and find some after school or church programs to get her in so that she can be able to make friends and the right kind of friends and she will snap out of this.
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 6:54 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think she's heard too much of the benefits of outer beauty, which doesn't last, and not enough about inner beauty, which is what is really important. That's the approach I would take with her from this point. Outer beauty is at best fleeting, but inner beauty lasts for a lifetime. Try putting more emphasis on inner beauty and much less emphasis on outer attractiveness.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010