my 1 month old.......... adult content

ok so i had a baby girl a month ago tonight! yay! anyways, the day were leaving the hospital, they said her jaundice was alittle high, but nothing they were concerned about. but they said my daughters ped would like to see her in the morning to check it. we take her in, they take blood and say her jaundice was fine, but her red cell or somthing was high and they had to take more blood and if it was higher than a 70 or something, she would have to go into the nicu. we came home, and an hour later they said it was fine.
a week later the ped calls me and says that the genetics test they took showed that she had one gene of cystic fibrosis. and normally you would need two genes to have CF, but they wanted to check her just to make sure.
has anyone else had this happen and everything be fine? they said that she has a 4% or less chance of having it, but im starting to freak out. like every little thing she does that is "weird" to me, i think OMG!
i need alittle reassurance to get me to the 4th of jan. thank you!

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First mama take a deep breathe and settle down. Think 4% of having it, that's a very small chance. Don't think of that small 4% think about the 96% of her NOT having it. Good Luck and I hope it turns out for the best!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• thank you, i know, i am thinking that, but im kind of a fruit cake and over think things. lol. thanks!
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Mommy of two388 said it all. Think about the 96% chance of her not having it!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I dont know however wantend to wish u and ur baby the best.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• When we were children with my sister the doctors discovered every known and unknown illnesses on us. We spent our childhood ( ok, half of it) in the hospital just to find out that we are fine and we will live forever. I am a doctor freak. I had so many bad experience with them. So I was so glad when I found mine here. If I would be you I would ask second, third, etc. opinions. She is only one month old and the doctors have found many serious illness possibility in her. Do you think it is real? The test results keep coming back negative. Do not freak out. It is the time to enjoy your little girl:) If they do find something than you still will have time to deal with the problem. But until then just enjoy this precious time. It goes so fast. Babies grow up fast:( :D

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 8:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It takes two genes to have the disease. I'm a former lab tech. When there is an abnormal result like this it is automatically checked for mistakes. Having one gene means she is a carrier and if she has a baby with a carrier she has a one in four chance of having a baby with CF. If the repeat test shows she is a carrier then her partner will need to be tested before she gets pregnant and if the partner is a carrier then they will need genetic counseling. Things may be more advanced in 20-30 years when she has babies. That's all you have to worry about. I am a carrier for a clotting disorder. Of course the very best thing you can do for your baby's health is breastfeed. If she does have CF it is very, very important.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• gailll- thank you, you made feel alot better. as for breastfeeding, i was for the first week and half, and then i got really constipated. i didn't go for two weeks, crying in pain. i was pumping myself full of stuff to make me go, even beer and pizza, so i stopped b/c i obviously didn't want her getting all that. that for about three days. i was like a day away from having to go the er....it was horrible. anyways, i finally went and waited one more day to let everything get out of me, and then i started her up again. but, she was getting so frustrated b/c i guess it wasn't coming out fast enough for her like the nipple was, and she would latch, but then let go. i tried it for about two hours and she just screamed! so i had to feed her, b/c i knew she was hungry. i have attempted numerous times since then, with the same result. so i am at a loss. can i go back to breastfeeding now? im still lactating. and it is milk.
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i agree with pp
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:27 AM on Dec. 28, 2010