When to quit formula?

My son is almost 8 months old and has 6 teeth. He's been teething since 3 months old and has been eating baby food since 4 months old. He's a formula-feed baby since 10 days old but I've been supplementing cow's milk often because I want to stop formula all together. Is it okay to completely stop formula and use cow's milk?

B-Lyn

Asked by B-Lyn at 11:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you shouldnt be giving him cows milk at all right now. You need to wait till he is a year old. If you start milk to early in there lives they have a higher chance of being allergic to it later. Doctors say to wait till there first birthday. Its harder for them to digest cows milk right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• No not until atleast 10 month's. I had this same problem with my oldest daughter and I was strongly opposed by my ped. when suggesting cow's milk. My oldest refused formula, he said, just offer 3 times a day and if she takes it she takes it but if not it wasn't a big deal, but DO NOT give cows milk until 10 at the earliest but he wanted me to wait until a year. Cows milk is very fattening and doesn't have the same nutrients and vitamins that formula and breast milk has. I would wait atleast until 10 months and even try to wait until he is 1 year old. It is your decition but I would wait. :)
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• One year: minimum. Their tummy isn't ready to digest the proteins found in regular cow's milk.
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Wait till one year and no sooner!

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I waited til my son was 1yr to introduce him to cows milk, They say you should wait til then. He was eating food before 1yr and even haveing juice sometimes but not cows milk. I would talk to the your dr.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I would listen to doctors who say not to introduce it until 12 months. It will be here in a blink of an eye, and then you won't have to worry about formula anymore. I wouldn't risk giving it to your baby before then. They tell you not to feed it to the baby before then for a reason. Why risk something going wrong?
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• NO cows milk is not good for your child right now. I would stop giving him milk and just go with formula until he is a year. Why did you start giving him milk to begin with? Was there some medical reason for it?
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I have been wondering the same thing and I think you should listen to your doctor. Mine said at 1 year you can stop giving them formula. Just give it as a drink with thier food or as a snack between meals. The iron and vitamins are so important.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• They still need the nutrients in BM or formula until at least 1 year of age. A sip of cow's milk here and there is ok, but cannot be relied on for nutrition.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• We started whole milk at 10 months. It was just supplementing the formula to try and get the extra fat in him. My son is now almost 13 months and is still small. We took him off milk for the most part, he is still on formula and pediasure though.
    army_wife_06

Answer by army_wife_06 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008