Are you supposed to work out before, or after you eat?

I always get SUPER hungry after I work out. I hate it. I work out at night but don't want to eat at night, so when I am done, I am super starving. PS working out in the morning is not an option. So, eat before, or after?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• eat after
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'd say maybe before you eat.But it depends what you eat.If you eat healthy then before you eat.
    KimKards

Answer by KimKards at 8:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would eat after. You could have a protein bar or something like that before if you really need something.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• After
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• eat your usual dinner ... then when you work out and your hungry, eat something after but only protein like a piece of chicken or turkey, string cheese, nuts, eggs, tuna fish, etc.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• because protein builds muscle, especially after you work out ... since your metabolism is going from your workout your body will take that protein and turn it right into lean muscle and muscle eats fat. if you dont eat and you just leave your body hungry, your body will actually hold on to fat...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• eat after, you'll burn more of your food.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 6:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It is always best to work out on an empty stomach or else you will disrupt digestion.

Answer by older at 11:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Eating after is an easier way to make better choices on what you do actually eat. After working out you have a self accomplishment so you probably will not go out and eat a burger, and if you eat before you may choose a burger because you "think" you will burn it off.

Stick with after but be sure to drink lots of water before your workout. :)
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 1:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• still after, but have a smoothie or something after and eat a meal a few hours before.
    mamamissy23

Answer by mamamissy23 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010