Acne and my teen!

Hi! To start off, my teen is 17. She is on minocycline (antibiotic) for her acne.
Lately its gotten worse, when before it was helping. Shes on birth control, and I know sometimes they are known to clash. She used antibacterial soap (dial) on her face in the morning and night. No makeup, ever.. any suggestions? The medicine just stopped working.

Actually she said she hasn't been taking it right (only because the two medicines clashing has made her ILL!) which the dr said can happen when anti-biotic and birthcontrol mix.

Help please??? She takes the antibiotic twice a day. Should she just keep taking it regularly? Help! and Proactiv did nothing for her. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Antibiotics defeat birth control pills. I don't know what effect the extra hormones from the BC pills will have on the antibiotic's effect on her skin. You need to get her back to the dermatologist, and she needs to talk about which BC pills she's taking, since ones high in progesterone may make her skin worse.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Ortho-cyclen ... 28 day regimen . So you think this could make it worse? Ugh.!

Do you think for now she should discontinue the use of antibiotic? BTW-her doctor (who gave the BC) was
    aware of the minocycline for her face.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• WOW, RUDE!!!!! ..... You really need to take the stick out of your ass.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Tell her to suck it up, she's not the only teenage girl with acne. Everyone gets it, it is normal. I dont know why people dont understand that. When I was in high school (which wasn't too long ago) I could give two shits less about what was on my face. If someone said something I would just say " Get a mirror you dumbass, you have it too"

Eventually it will clear up, tell her to stop stressing about something so stupid.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010