How do I get more energy during the day?

I have really bad postpartum fatigue and on top of that I cant sleep unless I'm so exhausted I fall asleep standing. I find myself hangin out on the couch all day, and I get so bored, but I'm too tired to do anything. I just had my second child, and I was nothing like this after my first one.

What are some ways BESIDES COFFEE AND DRUGS to get more energy. Like foods, or certain exercises or something?

xmama_bellax

Asked by xmama_bellax at 8:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Health

• I was going to say vitamins.
    But going for walks with the baby is a good way to start with for exercise.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 9:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Well, hanging out on the couch is NOT going to get your energy up. You need to get moving! Take your baby for a walk (at the mall, if it's too nasty outside). Make sure you're eating right, and eating throughout the day- your body needs fuel to keep going!
    If you start exercising some, it will really help with your sleep, too. When you lay around the house, it sucks away at your energy, but then it also disturbs your sleep, and you can't sleep. DH deals with this too. I've been there, and now that I am finally exercising regularly again, it's made a difference.
    Another thought- have you had any other signs of past partum depression? This can be one of the signs, which is why I say "other" signs. Could be another cause.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Try to get out of the house once a week. Either take a walk in your neighborhood...or if you are lucky to have people you trust watch your children for a few hours, get a pedicure, or go to a movie with your husband/or girlfriends. Just little steps, change of scenary helped me. But...if your postpartum fatigue is much more serious and persistent, I would suggest talking to your obgyn. Some people actually need meds...Congrats and good luck.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Go stand outside for like 10 minutes, so your brain gets some light. Winter is hard o;n ;energy levels. What also works for me is not to have too much caffeine cuz then I crash. Also, listen to some upbeat music. That will help. Hope you feel better.l I totally understand.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• – collapse
    Why don't you suck it up? And just run on energy? Just do it... everyone has to. Stop whining about something so stupid!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Even just a moment or two of fresh air does wonders. Also, make sure you stay hydrated. As a new mom it is very easy to forget to drink enough WATER. And if you are breastfeeding, you'll need to keep up the liquids even more.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Go for walks outside, get fresh air, get dressed, put make up on, do your hair, open up the curtains and let sun in. Once you start doing something you will feel better =)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:22 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yoga, water, fresh whole foods, and just getting UP and doign something. Physical activity gives you more energy once you make a point of doing more each day. Start slow and work your way up.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Are you drinking enough water? Being even the teeniest bit dehydrated can leave you feeling droopy. You should be drinking at least 8 oz glasses a day. Animal products, especially meat and dairy, can leave sap your energy. Highly processed foods, like high fructose corn syrup and white flour, also can leave you feeling weak. There is an epidemic of magnesium deficiency in the US; this can leave you feeling droopy; weaken your immune system; intensify ADD/ADHD, migraines and asthma; and make you feel tired; take a magnesium supplement daily (I take cal/mag/D).
    Fill your diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Send me a message offlist if you would like recipes or meal ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I agree with everyone's answers. How much pain med.'s or any, are you taking? That definitely will have that effect on you. Too much sugar and caffeine will zap you too. I just dealt with this issue myself in recent past. If you can handle green teas, drink at least 2 cups or glasses with fresh lemon in it. The lemon will help give you a natural uhmph. Good luck to ya toots! That's a hard road to face. I focused on antioxidants to help flush my system. It's a wonderful awakening.
    missmarylou

Answer by missmarylou at 11:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2010