Cockroaches! Help?

I have never, ever, had cockroaches. Not in the two houses I've ever lived in. When my husband and I had to move in with the in-laws, they were living in such filth that the cockroaches are crazy! We're totally infested. Sprays (Raid, Bug-B-Gone, etc) are ineffective, the powders are ineffective, it's cold as it can get in the house and they're still coming. It's no longer a question of cleanliness, I'm a complete and total clean freak. I've been working on salvaging this house for 8 months non-stop... but the cockroaches are terrible. Even sitting at my computer, I can't enjoy a cup of tea unless I hold it constantly, otherwise they invade and drown in my tea... When I'm browsing with my mouse, they skitter over my hand. When I'm sitting in my hair, they start crawling up my legs...

Sorry this is so long.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to wage war on these intolerable, nasty pests?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My husband reccomends boric acid, sprinkle it on the outside of the house and in the cupboards, everywhere the baby/kids can't reach. Also they sell those electronic repealent things and my husband swears that they work. If you have tried everything else, maybe try them.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know nothing except calling an exterminator. I have never seen a roach and hope I never will.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• call an exterminator.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Been there and done that! After trying everything known to man including an exspensive exterminator, Theres a "gel" they sell in stores like walmart. The adult roaches consume it then take it back to the babies. That actually worked! Check at walmart or kmart if you have one, thats where I found it. It's a Roach Gel. Good luck, I know how discusting that is, I still have nightmares of the little Bastards!!!!!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• We have rental property usually we can get rid of the with spray and boric acid. Two times we had to call exterinators. Shop around they vary as to cost and effectiveness.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Thank you all.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• We had to use an exterminator. It took a month to get it all gone but its been a few months and we haven't had any.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• At that point the only thing you can do is call an extreminator that will be the only thing that will truly get rid of them. They live in warm places such as the stove refrigerator , furnace and breed there. All those other things only temporaryily work. Stop fighting and spending all your money on the other stuff and get the professionals in there. My SIL & BIL had them bad in Texas and that's the only thing that can work. GL
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 28, 2010