Are Your Kids Unsure About Themselves?

Whenever my daughter discovers a new celebrity,she is instantly influenced.I know influence is not a good thing and so does she,but she doesnt notice it when she wants to be someone shes not.One day she wants to be like this girl,and the next day she wants to be like a different one.She always tells me she doesnt know who shes supposed to be,or how to be herself,becuase she doesnt know exactly who SHE is.I know finding out who she is is her job but is there any way to speed up the process to help her out?

KimKards

Asked by KimKards at 9:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No, you are going to have to be just as patient as your daughter has to be! I know it seems like she is anxious about figuring this out by changing from one celebrity to another day to day but she will figure it out in her own time.

The one thing you can do to help her figure this out is to encourage her to do what she has always enjoyed doing like a sport or craft or other talent. Kindly remind her gently from time to time that she is your daughter and not the celebrity that she is portraying.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My kids are pretty sure of themselves (sometimes too much). I'd recommend like marchar2002 encourage her to do things she likes, support her and praise her and point out her uniqueness. I always find something to say to my boys regarding their personality at least once a day. If they make me laugh, I say I love how you make me laugh you're so funny, or if they help me with me something around the house a comment about how helpful they are how I love how they think about others, those words I think help them define their characteristics. Both my boys are different but seem to have a pretty strong sense of their strengths and character, their likes and dislikes. I'd continue to encourage her and she will find these things in herself.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• just let her go through each phase n believe me there will be many phases.and soon one "phase" will stick n thats who she is and or will be..
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 7:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010