Do some Religions forbid higher education?

I ask this because I know a few young people that were not allowed to attend college because they had to go into the pioneer service full-time with no pay. This was not exactly what they wanted, but more it seemed forced on them. They are Jehovah's Witnesses. I was wondering the reasoning behind this, and if there are other religions that believe the same regarding higher education?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Amish and Mennonite sect do not believe in higher education. The Amish don't even go to high school but stop at 8th grade. Their focus is on family not on learning "head knowledge". They are taught how to live and survive and make a difference in their community. Not to mention, higher education means going outside their safety net and into the world which is forbidden. It's easier to keep the kids in their religion by reducing their outside influences.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 2:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I'm not sure but I don't see what the problem would be with educating yourself. I love learning and I'm not about to stop!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• That's not true.. I am a former JW... they can't be FORCED into that, they have free will, yes? There are many JW's who are doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. They were probably just one very small aspect of that religion you saw. Don't base your beliefs about an entire worldwide religion based off of a few people.
    Anonymous

• couldn't they get education after they were done with their pioneer time?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Well from what I have seen and heard Jw's are discouraged from attending college, primarily due to the fact that they are supposed to be building up their service to god, and college is not a priorty because it is more of a "worldly" endevour.(sp?)
    Anonymous

• Also most Jw's who are doctors, lawyers and such came into the religion AFTER they had went to college and started thier careers, they were not younger people.
    Anonymous

• Well, all I have to say is... if someone has to change and rewrite the Bible so that it says what they want it to say, then they are a false prophet and are teaching lies.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• When God said "Be Fruitful..." I don't think He only meant to make tons of babies. I think He meant to also enjoy life. A true believer who gets an education, makes something of themselves, loves the Lord, and shows the way to others, brings glory to God.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I did not know that about the Amish and Mennonites. I am not knocking it because that is their way and religion. And I did not know about the pioneer time. I like to learn about others it helps me be more rounded.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• "higher education means going outside their safety net and into the world which is forbidden"

...well, there is always Rumspringga for that...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2008