Can getting induced cause u to have a c-section?

I'm 39 1/2 weeks and my doc wants to induce me but said I could end up having a c-section b/c my cervix is still closed...does this make since to anyone? and is it possible that due to my cervix being closed and getting induced cause baby issues?

1ZomB-Mom

Asked by 1ZomB-Mom at 9:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My first question is why do they want to induce so early? You aren't due for at least a few more days, and there is no real medical reason (unless they see issues with your or the babies health) to induce before at least 41 weeks. Your due date is easily off by 2 weeks.

And to answer your question, yes, inductions can come with a risk of c-section, but so can regular labor. Personally, I have been induced 3 times, and I would never have it any other way! It definitely makes things much easier...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would not get induced if you have a choice!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes. Your chances of a c-section after induction are 50% because when you are induced your contractions are MUCH much stronger, which leads to alot more pain and high chance of wanting an epidural. The extremely strong contractions also put alot of pressure on baby and can lower their heart rate dramatically which would be cause for an emergency c-section.

Are you late? You can safely be 2 weeks past your due date and still give birth without induction. Do a lot of walking and even ask your Dr if he/she could strip your membranes. When i had my membranes stripped I went in to labor 2 days later.
    XxPixiesworldxX

Answer by XxPixiesworldxX at 9:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My doctor didn't discuss inducing until I passed my due date. As long as there is no stress on your baby, you should waite.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• YES!!! I was induced with three of my children and had no c-sections. But from what I have studied since then, your chances increase a GREAT deal when you are induced. I was very fortunate!

WHY on earth would he want to induce you now???? Due dates are just estimates! Many babies aren't born until 42 weeks. Why the impatience? Especially if your body isn't even getting ready. That should be an OBVIOUS sign that the baby and your body are NOT ready.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If they break your water, you have 24 hours to deliver. If you haven't delivered in 24 hours you will most likely have to have a c-section. Semen is a natural cervix softener. I would have sex and go for a walk to get things moving along.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Well, it did with me. I was induced and my cervix wouldn't dilate so I ended up with an emergency c-section because my daughter's heart rate was dropping. I was 11 days overdue with her. That's just my experience though, everyone's body is different.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i would not let them induce you unless you are dialated at leaste 5-6 cm. i was induced with both my kids. both went well, and vaginally. the first i had an epidural, the second i did not. ooooow! lol
    but seriously, if he wants to induce you and youre not dialated, i do believe it may result in a c- section, or really long labor. and the patocin doesn't extend your labor, my first was 11 1/2 hours to deliver, that was from start to finish. my daughter a month ago, from start to finish, was only about 3 hours. if u want an epidural, get it as soon as the contractions start to get just passed uncomfortable. lol. i waited too long, and didnt have time with my daughter. they broke my water and she was out in 5 minutes....good luck mama!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• dont induce unless needed for medical reasons.. but i was induced and never got a c section from it.. but the pain is a lot worse..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I was induced and I had a vaginal birth.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010