Signs of hearing loss in preschooler?

I am concerned for my preschooler I am not sure if he has some hearing problems or just ignores my and my dh? He will ask me questions and then respond with What? or just look at me like he doesn't understand. Many times we have to repeat the answer a few times before he seems to understand. He has an average vocabulary for a three year old and says most words correctly. This is the only odd issue I have noticed with him.

amandajoy21

Asked by amandajoy21 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Have a hearing test done. He sounds similar to my son at that age. I didn't realize he had a hearing problem though until he was in Kindegarden and they did routine hearing tests on all of the kids. My son did not pass and with further testing we discovered that he needed tubes put in his ears. Now I don't want to scare you or anything. My son has been an excellent example of success with tubes. His hearing is almost perfect now and he is 17 year old. However, at the time, when he was a kindegardner I felt like I was the worst mom on the earth for not knowing that anything was wrong. The day he came home from getting his first set of tubes put in he was laying in bed and we were talking. He started to giggle and I asked him what was so funny? Hes said, "Mommy, I can hear your voice!" and I started crying! Have a hearing test done to ease you mind.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Since he can speak clearly, I would think it has something more to do with his attention.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Does he turn his head to one side when listening? Does he look at your mouth when you speak? I started noticing these things in my daughter when she was two.. I had her tested and sure enough, she's severely deaf in one ear. She's great at reading lips and has a vocabulary that is advanced for her age. As does her 2 year old sister who is also severely deaf in one ear. People (doctors included) always marvel at how well they both speak so don't let his speech be a deciding factor for you. Get him tested, it won't hurt. :)
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 10:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• He has his 4 year check up in January so I will be bringing it up with his doctor. He doesn't always position himself to look at us when we talk to him, but he does listen better when we are face to face. Just figured this always had something to do with good active listening skills because most people listen better when they are looking at the person talking.
    amandajoy21

Comment by amandajoy21 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• UGH I had this with my kids I finally took them to an ENT and after eliminating dairy from their diets they hear perfect... go to an ENT for the full work up it is not painful and age appropriate so he'll be fine with it he gets into this dj like box and gets to play a 'game' with the ENT for like 20 minutes somehow it computes into hearing loss and acustic readings
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:27 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Id talk to your Dr.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would speak with the pediatrician and see what they say.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2010