Does you newborn pinch and grab your sjin while nursing?

Mine does and also pulls hair. It hurts so bad I sometimes cry out in pain. She does it even more when cranky. What do you do to prevent/stop this? What are the reasons she could be doing this?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 9:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just make sure to have a hold of her hand and have the other one pinned.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Mine did! Both of them. I think it's just curiosity and exploring. Those little baby fingernails are sure sharp, no matter how well you cut them!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• First trick is to cut off the talons/claws/ nails.

Have you tried a nursing necklace? It's a really strong necklace that they can pull and play with that won't break like regular jewelry. I tried a small toy, but she started using that as a weapon and beating me with it. Someone at a LLL meeting suggested a big toy. I tried a huge stuffed sheep. She has to really concentrate to hold it and she is still. The stuffed sheep works. The nursing necklace sometimes works and is good for when we aren't home with the huge sheep.

I also got a nail file. Short nails are still like razors. I file them too for protection.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Nursing necklace is a great idea. They are easy enough to make yourself or you can buy them online. Get large wooden or plastic beads from the craft store and some yarn or cross stitch floss and string on different color/ shapes of beads make it long enough that it comes down to below your breasts once around your neck. Just tie a knot in the back to create the necklace. Also you can swaddle her if she will tolerate that.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My hair has stayed in a nearly permanent bun since my kids were born, since hair pulling does not feel good! And make sure you keep her nails well clipped. I second the swaddling suggestion. The majority of the time, I nurse my son in the cradle position with one arm tucked underneath him which helps. I often use my free arm to pin his other arm down. Good luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:09 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• yes its cmommon lol and ouch
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• my 7/8 mth old does!! I currently have bruses on my chest and arms.
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 7:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2010