crusty scalp & acne

My 10 yo dd has a problem with excess sebum on her scalp that acturally leaves a crusty matter at times and gets irritated. She also has started w/lots of pimples, esp. on the forehead area. Does anyone child have this? What have you found for shampoo and medicine that works?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I don't have teens but it sounds to me that her hair products are too oily and are leaving a build up that is aggravating her scalp. I would try head and shoulders something with out moisturiser and try the unscented perfume type that could be hurting the situation too. I would also make a call to her doctor or mention it in a regular appointment and they might have a suggestion. Something to think about too, puberty can cause so many changes in hormone levels it could be effecting her skin. Hope that helps.

Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 12:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yeah use head & Shoulders. My scalp is kinda like this STILL... :( i hate it. but use head & shoulders, or have her NOT use conditioner in the shower. (if she uses the conditioner to help with knots, then instead of using the conditioner you rinse out in the shower, use a leave in conditioner. Pantene Pro-V has a very good leave in that is not Oil based so it wont irritate the scalp either. I use that instead of rinse out conditioner & mine has gotten a lot better. For her face make sure she doesnt touch on her forehead or face. I had VERY bad acne when i was younger at aout that age also. When she is sitting at her desk @ school make sure she doesnt sit with her face in her hands have her wash her face every morning. if she has pimples, i always pop them and i always pick at my face and then wash my face immediately after. it gets the gunk out of them and keeps your face clean afterwards. Good luck :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I don't know what to tell you about her scalp. My son, 10, had an acne breakout. I went and bought Nutregena cleanser, toner and Oil of Olay moisturizer. You will need to determine if her skin is oily, dry or oily only in the T-zone. Buy a moisturizer that is for her skin type. I made him wash, put toner and moisturizer on at least once a day, preferably twice a day. His acne disappeared within 10 days. If your daughter is like my son, she is probably self-conscious about the acne. None of the other children in my son's class has had to deal with acne, yet. I hope this helps your daughter.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I think with my experience you need to do something orally. By taking some supplements, the nutrients her body is missing. Of course in addition to supplements you gotta use natural products for the scalp too, chemicals does make it more irritated if you need some help getting to know what nutrients her body is missing just feel free to contact me, It will be my pleasure to assist you. I also know about a natural skin-care line that could help your daughter's scalp and pimples on the face too.
    MiryamSchechter

Answer by MiryamSchechter at 5:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I know of two things that could work pm me if interested.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 7:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Tea tree oil- I use an awesome face wash by Desert Essence- it is antimicrobial but not overly drying. Kills the germs- I had a badly infected ingrown toenail that I had to have surgery on and I used this wash on it after- no more infection!!! Try washing with it, or rubbing it straight into scalp. Also- calendula cream is very healing and you might try combining the two for an even more effective attack.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2008