Christmas greed....

I think this year my husband finally woke up and realize how his parents play favorites....

We can usually have a good Christmas ( lots of gifts to go around) but this year my husband lost his job so we had to dip into the christmas money so it wasnt as big as before , and I think that is why it annoyed me more this year than all of the others...

My kids are 2 and 4 years old, my husbands brothers kids are 8 and 9 and honestly they are spoiled monsters, they wont listen, they ruin everything ( obvious by the colored on walls and furniture, broken toys and thier trashed rooms ) .... My kids are younger and they know how to say please and thank you and actually value the things they get...and I think that is also why this annoys me to much.

My mother and father in law have alot of money ( over $7000/month in a place where it is average for about $2000) .... but yet every year they get our kids cheapy crappy toys ( this year they gave my daughter one of those $1 barbie dolls from the dollar store and got my son one of those $5 horses from the dollar store..... not to mention nephew broke both of them within the 30 minutes after opening...

Neice got a $600 video camera, 3 baby dolls ( one of them was the $50 walking one), and several nice outfits... nephew got several wii games amoung his several other expensive things.... these were all just for a christmas eve get together ... and it maks me mad I could tell my daughter was a little jealous because she just watched her cousin play with the babydoll that she wanted... but she was still nice even told my mother in law that she loved the barbie... meanwhile niece yelled because her video camera was blue and she wanted it to be pink....

this is just a rant, and gifts are not what christmas is about and it is there money and they can buy what they want, etc... but woudnt this make you so mad !!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes it would make me mad, why even bother to go, it is easy to tell who their favorites are....
    Anonymous

• we go because my husband is still a mommas boy and doesnt see what is going on.....

But this year I think he realized it because he was actually sitting with our kids while they say there after opening thier 1 gift and watching their cousins open their several gifts
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My son always seemed to get the cheap gifts too!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would understand if my kids tore things up and neice and nephew didnt... but that isnt how it is... I mean they literally break everything .... she got him WII games but he cant even use his WII because he shoved a waffle in it ( she told him she is buying him a new one though of course) .....

My daughter is 4 years old and cleans her own room... she has a place for all her toys and takes care of things... she didnt even complain at all ... but then they act like hellians and basically get rewarded..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My mother didnt even acknowledge my kids for Christmas this year, it can always be worse

Anonymous

• WOW! i am so sorry that this happened to your kids- i agree, it is Not about the presents but........... that is a Horrible thing to do to your Grandchildren! If your In Laws choose Not to treat All of them Equally then i would have to be DONE! There is no way i would let that happen again- Ever!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• YES this would make me mad....Things need to be more even and the cousins are going to resent each other. Whats so special about them and not your kids? I would ask them I really would....Its also so easy at this ages to get nice gifts without breaking the bank!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Next year get your parents something nice and don't do the same for them and make sure to mention what your parents recieved. Give her a taste of her own medicine. (That was just my revengeful side talking. :-(. ) Seriously, Hugs to you. Keep your humor and don't be afraid of their control anymore. I would approach them and just be honest. Ask them if there was a reason your children were treated differently. Tell them it hurt, you didn't appreciate it and if things aren't different you won't be there for ANY family gatherings. Make sure to get your hubbys' back up 1st. Hit it directly and hold your own. It sounds like "she" might be a controlling ----- . Watch "Monster-In-Law " for some helpful hints. Happy New Year...........
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• That isn't fair, so I think I would find a way around the present opening with them. It isn't right for any child to feel they are getting the short end of the stick in gifts...even though it isn't about presents. No parent would like it in your position. I would ask that presents just not be exchanged and opened since there is such an imbalance. Do the presents within your own families separately. I am sure your children will not miss the $1 toy they get either.

And on the bright side, they are just teaching their children how to really flounder in the real world whereas your children sound like they are going to be much better received and more self sufficient in the long run.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Wow at the difference. Yes and no it terms of how it bothered me. I would be upset but I would never let my son see how I was hurt by it. Because I want him to truly believe he has the love he deserves from his Grandparents. But I can honestly say I would not open gifts, ever, with the whole family when it is so noticeable. If my in laws inquired why we seem to disappear on gift giving holidays I would hope to have the courage to be honest: "I have noticed the types of gifts you give X and Y and I am concerned my children will eventually be very hurt by the differences in the amount and quality of the gifts they receive from you. While I don't want to teach them relationships are all about expensive gifts, I don't want them to think you love them less. So for now I choose to have you come to our home and open gifts not with the cousins because I know you love them equally (lie gracefully) and don't intend to hurt them.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2010