Gay in Hollywood, is it still taboo? Richard Chamberlin says gay actors should NOT come out, agree?

Hollywood legend Richard Chamberlain -- a gay man who revealed his sexuality in 2003 -- has fired off some shocking advice to other gay actors: Stay in the closet!

76-year-old Chamberlain -- who became a teen idol in the '60s playing the lead role on "Dr. Kildare" -- told The Advocate, "Personally, I wouldn't advise a gay leading man-type actor to come out."

Chamberlain explained, "There's still a tremendous amount of homophobia in our culture" -- adding, "Despite all the wonderful advances that have been made, it's still dangerous for an actor to talk about that."

Chamberlain continues, "For an actor to be working [at all] is a kind of miracle, because most actors aren't ... so it's just silly for a working actor to say, 'Oh, I don't care if anybody knows I'm gay' -- especially if you're a leading man."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Neil Patrick Harris did and he has no problems. I think it is rather funny that he is gay and plays a womanizer on How I Met Your Mother.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 10:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think that they should keep their sexual preferences to themselves. either way it is something personal, and they should treat that like many hollywoo actors keep their family life out of the public eye. I think it is just better for them to do that! Just as long as their closest family and friends know and understand, they shouldnt feel obligated to tell the world.
    Adriana715

Answer by Adriana715 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I LOVE Neil Patrick Harris! lol...and yes, its funny that he plays the womanizer!!!

I just find it ironic that even in "Hollyweird" being gay can still be seen as a career ender

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I don't care what they do.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Up to them. Chamberlain is older, he may overestimate the effect. Ultimately, I don't care.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Why shouldn't they? There aren't that many who have lost their career for coming out. I think of NPH and Ellen. They are very successful.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think it's amusing (in a sad way) - some people did boycott HIMYM after he came out. They didn't have any problem with a show about a womanizing manwhore, but soon as they found out the actor was gay and in a committed relationship, THEN it was far too sinful for them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I don't really care either way if they're gay or not. I don't want to hear about their love lives - gay or straight. I want to watch them play a character, and not have any thoughts - good or bad - about their personal lives overshadow what it is I'm watching. That might sound shallow, but it's not how I mean it. They are professionals, paid to portray other people - fictional or not, and are paid to entertain us, make us think, etc.

Personally, I don't want to watch, for example, Mr and Mrs Smith, and think - wow - this is the movie where Brad and Angelina started their adulterous affair...

So, gay or straight, personally, I wish that actors, musicians, etc, would keep more of their personal life just that - personal (though I admit, a lot of times, they aren't the ones making it public...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Evidently, it's, still, not taboo for gay actors to come out in Hollywood, because, recently a lot of gay men and women actors have come out of the closet.
    shortcake120

Answer by shortcake120 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I think he's probably right, as far as working goes. Not that I agree with it but it's probably better to keep it to yourself. I think he's just being honest given what happened to him. Now maybe it won't happen to everyone but there's a type cast issue here too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010