Where do I start ... learning to make clothes for my 1 year old?

I want to make some clothes for my son. I know they won't look pretty at first so maybe he can just wear them to bed. I have all the equipment and material.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Oh man. I have no idea but heres a bump. GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• a book! there's tons of books out there and even free patterns online, sewing really isn't that hard (at least not un-complex things) and some fabric stores have classes or will gladly answer your questions. you can ask women you talk to if they know how or know anyone that does that wouldn't mind helping you out.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would start with some little shorts, or pants. 4 pieces, easy to do! Then you could move on to little shirts, or rompers! Then who knows? As he gets older maybe you could make his jeans. Are you using denims, knits, or cotton?
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• The trick to making clothes that look store bought is to press the seams after every seam.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• GO to your local fabric store and buy some simple patterns. If you have the patience and are detail oriented you can figure it out! Or remove the stitching from a t shirt or pair of pants, and use the pieces as templates traced onto fabric of your choice--calculating for a little longer or wider for growth spurts. Then sew the new halves together.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Kwik Sew patterns have a great book complete with patterns for sewing baby clothes, and McCall's and Simplicity patterns are very simple to use, and go on sale for 99cents to $1.99 at JoAnne's and Hobby Lobby periodically. One of them, I can't remember which has some great patterns for beginners called Sewing for Dummies (they both have websites you can go to if you want to see their current pattern catalog.

If you've never sewn, I highly suggest taking a class at your local sewing store or adult ed program. I can't tell you what a difference it will make. Join the Sewing4beginners group or sewing for fun group here on cafemom, they have great links to tutorials, and lots of great projects that they share.....most of all, have fun!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• a lot of the stores like Hancock Fabrics, Joanns Crafts or other similar craft stores offer beginning sewing lessons. Sometimes if you have a sewing machine dealer in your area they have classes too. I took classes from a sewing machine dealer and then got a discount card that was good on their fabric and supplies. The class was well worth it. Good luck on your new endeavor - and have fun learning!
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If you have never sewn before, lessons would be a good idea. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would get a simple t-shirt pattern first and make it from a few different fabric patterns. Then maybe move on to shorts with elastic waists. Avoid zippers until you get the hang of the more basic stuff.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 1:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• See if you can take classes anywhere.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2010