She feels like a maid...

My step daughter told me that the work she does around makes her feel like a maid. Really?!? Are you kidding me?!? I told her of all the things that I had to for her pick up all her stuff that she leaves laying around here, her dishes she leaves in the sink, her dirty clothes and the list goes on. I told her this is her house too and I am not going to live like a nasty whte trash person. Plus the chores she does is a 5 minute 1 chore job..like today sweep the floor that is it. The question I have for you ladies...is how would you handle this??? What would you have said to her?

BrknWingAngel

Asked by BrknWingAngel at 11:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• All members of a family should have household responsibilities, and as an adult, she should do an equal share of the work. If she had an apartment with roommates she would still have to do her share of the housework. Who does she think should do all of the housework? Does she want to pay for a maid to do her share???
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm proud of you having her pay rent! Where is your husband in all of this? It is time for you to sit down for a family meeting about who does what & how everyone feels. Try to discuss things like reasonable adults with a groundrule of everyone gets their say. She wants respect but doesn't know what being an adult really means. It probably isn't clear to everyone who should be doing what & if it gets done (by you) then it's magic & you feel put-upon. It is hard to stop expecting the rest of the family to realize that they should be doing things & that they should be showing some gratitude for what you do.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 7:44 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• She can do it or get out.. I would stop doing anything for her.. leave her dishes to wash and her laundry to do and everything that has to do with her.. leave it for her.. and see how she likes cleaning up after herself.. then she can decide which chores she would rather do..either way its win win.. you wont have to pick up after her and if she she chooses your side well there you go :) Goodluck
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• at 21 she should be cooking and cleaning for her self ,and if she think she is a maid then she get her own place to call home
    you can always tell her when she gets married not all men help out around the house so she will be doing every thing
    oh just like maid
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I am assuming she is an adult since this is posted in Adult children. If you don't already do so, I would start charging her for rent and just see how long it takes for her attitude to change.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:00 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• She is 21years old and she is paying rent....$400.00 a month that is paying for a room, electric, cable, internet, phone, and food.
    BrknWingAngel

Comment by BrknWingAngel (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would say to her, join the maids club, I have felt like one for years!

Answer by older at 10:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i agree with the other ladies.....start leaving her filth around and when she complains tell her that she isnt paying for maid service there for she has to do it herself...
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If she doesn't like it she can take her $4oo and get her own place. Chances are it won't get her much but she would change her attitude fast. Then she can clean up after herself or not.
    Mim4

Answer by Mim4 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Tell her you'll help her try to find another place to live for the same price, where she'll only have to do the chores she feels like she needs to do
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010