What is the advantage of sippy cups over bottles?

I don't see why most people think that sippy cups are more appropriate for toddlers then bottles. It's the same stuff going in there right? Sippy cups aren't very different from bottles, so they don't provide much of a "step" to regular cups. I have two sippy cups, and I have wondered why I bought them ever since I actually got them. The only advantage I see is that sippy cups hold more then bottles do.

So, why do most people think that sippy cups are "better" for toddlers then bottles?

CalebsMommy0220

Asked by CalebsMommy0220 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, if you use a sippy cup like Nuby then there really isn't much of a difference. But if you use a hard spout sippy cup, then there is a difference. The biggest thing has to do with their teeth. I don't remember exactly what my son's dentist told me, but basically it is better to use the hard spout sippy cup because it causes them to suck less. With a soft spout, they suck on the bottle/sippy cup more and it can cause problems with their teeth.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:12 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• @ PP - I've heard the exact opposite from our pedi. He said it doesn't matter what you use, as long as they've stopped and weaned on top cups some time before their adult teeth come in.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:15 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• @ OP - It's np =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:23 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• sippy cups are just another step to using a regular cup/glass. some cups are closer to a bottle than others. In our house bottles were gone at 1 year. Sippy cups still give you less of a 'spill' factor while they are learning. I also didn't let my kids just wander around with sippy cups. They were only allowed to eat and drink in the kitchen and/or dining room.
    Bottles should never be given at bedtime to 'help' the baby fall asleep (while drinking)
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 6:10 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Bottles are only bad because some people continue to put milk in their kids bottles when they sleep, the kid sucks on it, and it rots their teeth. As long as you put water in their bottle when they sleep, its okay.

I don't use sippy cups with my DD, but I also refrain from giving her milk at bed time too. She gets 2 oz of water per nap and 2 oz at bed time.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:13 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• For me, not the same stuff goes in them. When they were around 6 or 7 months old sippy cups were introduced with water. Around 11 months, milk here and there. At 12 months bottles were gone, which only formula ever went in them. At that time they were on solid food and did not need to drink a whole bottle for "food" at a sitting. They needed a drink to go with their meal or snack. Sippy cups are nicer at this stage because they cannot spill them like a regular cup.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:14 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Razelda, they may have changed it then, because my son is 6 so it has been about 5 years ago when the dentist told me this. You know how it goes, they say one thing for a few years and something else for a few years, lol.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:17 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Razelda- I don't send my son to bed with a bottle, I feed him THEN put him to bed.

JamieLK- Wouldn't bottles be just as good as sippy cups even with different stuff in them? They can't spill them just like they can't spill sippy cups.

Just asking, because I have always wondered this.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm not saying you do... Not sure how you gathered that from what I'm saying. You asked what the advantage is, and I am telling ya my experience and knowledge.

Partial reason why my DD is still on a bottle is because I have yet to find a sippy cup she can't and won't open. Other reason is there isn't a medical need to wean her off of it yet. Bottles work just fine for this family.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Razelda- Sorry. I guess there was a misunderstanding. I thank you for the info though! Its good to know others' perspectives.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2010