Would you call CPS?

I have a good friend who lives in FILTH. No joke.
She has 4 cats, 2 dogs, and some reptiles. Her house is always a mess, she has two litter boxes but keeps the nasty litter in tubs in her basement until they are full and she has to take them out.
Her kids have toys from when they where born ( they are 6 and 4) and you have to kick a path threw them to get from point a to b. I don't think her toy room as been vaccumed since Easter since there are pastel M&M's on the floor. Her kids sleep on cots in her room b/c they " don't want " to sleep in their rooms which are so packed with STUFF you can't even move around. Her office looks like a disaster zone. I was watching her house for her and her dogs distroied a bunch of stuff but I didn't know what was dog mess and what was their mess.
I really hate the thought of her kids breathing in that air and living in filth. But she is a friend.... thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• You should call cps that doesnt sound like a healthy enviorment for her or her children, or you can talk to her first see if you can help her get the filth cleaned up if not call cps no child deserves to be in an enviorment like that
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would call. I mean think about the kids.
    I know she your friend. But she needs help.
    She needs to think about the health of her children.

they most likely wont take her kids from her right away, unless they can see physical or verbal abusive.
    They will give her time to clean up. ( I would think, but I am not certain, Just from things I have read)
    HANNAHSMOMMY25

Answer by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If she is a good friend, then why not talk to her rather than go behind her back and call CPS. I know that I wouldnt be anyones friend that did that to me. However, I wouldnt be so nasty like that around my children. Yes she needs to clean up, and start taking care of those kids better...but if she is your close friend, then you should be able to tell her how you feel right.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Myob imo maybe she's overwhelmed and needs a friend to offer a helping hand in getting organized not someone who is gonna take her kids away. Also my kids have toys from when they were little so wut maybe they like them and don't wanna throw them away.....
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• There is no abuse at all, so I would think CPS would just give them x-amount of time to clean up. I don't WANT the kids taken away, I just want the healthy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Have you said something to her. Like, "Ya know, I'm your friend and I'm concerned about how hard it is to get around in your house. Would you like some help cleaning? Maybe we could plan a weekend where my kids and I (I'm assuming you have kids similar ages) could all pitch in with your kids to help clean it up."

If she refuses, then you might need to consider calling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• While I was house sitting I cleaned up their play room so I could walk threw it without tripping. I HAVE talked to her about it and she just laughs it off saying that she just can't get rid of the kids toys, or some of the pets ( in our town you can only have X amount of pets and she's over the limit by 4. I've offered to help her clean up but I'm pregnant and really can't be in an environment that unhealthy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i would.....and i have. i used to have a friend that was very much the same. we had set up cleaning parties you know buy some beer and have friends come help...it would take 3-4 days to get her house sanitary and organized and then within a month it would be just as bad......and i mean bad. like dishes molding in the sink and them buying paper plates instead of doing dishes. after a few of these cleaning parties and seeing that it was worthless, and the last time i had gone over there her 2 and 4 year olds were sitting at a table that looked like it hadnt been wiped off ina month eating dinner. i called and because i asked to be annnymous they didnt take me serously and she still has her now 4 and 6 year old boys in the same filthy house with the same disgusting mess ( accept im sure that since thier youngest is potty trained now there im sure the pile of diapers in the kitchen is gone)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Sounds like she may have psychological issues, like hoarding. If not CPS, definitely some type of professional needs to be brought in to help her. Does she have family in the area?
    jessi217

Answer by jessi217 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If thats your friend then you might have to be the 1 to break the news to her. Either you get this house together r I call cps which 1 would you pefer?? Just do it for the kids because they cant do it themselves... but then again you dnt want to be the one responsilbe for her getting her kids tooken?????
    T33baBy83

Answer by T33baBy83 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2010