Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

HELP!! Should he have to pay? or workmans comp?

Ok so I work at a vet clinic and have been there for 4 years. WELL the first week of November I noticed I had definate ringworm on my arm. I had helped with 2 ringworm postitive dogs a couple weeks earlier. I showed my boss the ringworm the day after I discovered it and I started treating it with topical meds. Then last week EIGHT weeks after I noticed the one on my arm I noticed it on my head. I went to dr. and got it confirmed and she wants me to start oral meds that are $283 and in order to do the orals I have to do blood work before, in the middle and in the end of the treatment. I don't have insurance and I know for sure I got it from work . even found the charts of the postitve animals and my time cards saying I was indeed there. So my question is, should my boss have to pay for my treatment or at least help with it or will workmans comp cover it or should it me my own cost?

Answer Question

Asked by staciaw at 12:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Health

Level 9 (365 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Pretty sure you shouldn't have to pay for it.

    Answer by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Yes, you should file for workmans comp

    Answer by leksismommy at 12:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Yeaaa i would go for Workmen Comp...

    Answer by Miszsamantha26 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • you shouldnt haveeeee to but you technically.... you work at a vet where there are risk.... its like a doctor getting sick from a patient.... that risk should be expected.. you decided to handle those animals, it wasnt an accident

    Answer by FITmama2B at 12:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Workmans comp.

    Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • You can try to get workman's comp for it, but I think that only works if you become injured. I used mine in 2008; a book shelf fell on my toes and my two big toe nails were removed. Good luck!

    Answer by _Tam_ at 12:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • It depends on what your offices policy is on handling animals with such illnesses. Are you requires to wear gloves? If yes, can you prove you wore them? If there is no special policy (which there should be) than Im sure you will get it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Thanks everyone, It would be awhile before I could afford it if I had to do it by myself since the pills are $283 and each time I get blood drawn its almost $200 so total I'm looking at almost $1000 to treat this nasty stuff. And its not like I wanted to handle those animals, Its my job and I HAD to do it, couldn't tell my boss "sorry i'm not helping you" and we didn't know it was postitve ringworm for about a week after actually handling the animal. Thanks again everyone.

    Comment by staciaw (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Have you tried to talk to him about it and tell him the situation?

    Answer by sstepph at 8:39 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • This is a job related problem I say they pay for you.

    Answer by grismelda at 4:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.