HELP!! Should he have to pay? or workmans comp?

Ok so I work at a vet clinic and have been there for 4 years. WELL the first week of November I noticed I had definate ringworm on my arm. I had helped with 2 ringworm postitive dogs a couple weeks earlier. I showed my boss the ringworm the day after I discovered it and I started treating it with topical meds. Then last week EIGHT weeks after I noticed the one on my arm I noticed it on my head. I went to dr. and got it confirmed and she wants me to start oral meds that are $283 and in order to do the orals I have to do blood work before, in the middle and in the end of the treatment. I don't have insurance and I know for sure I got it from work . even found the charts of the postitve animals and my time cards saying I was indeed there. So my question is, should my boss have to pay for my treatment or at least help with it or will workmans comp cover it or should it me my own cost?

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Health

• Pretty sure you shouldn't have to pay for it.
    HANNAHSMOMMY25

Answer by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes, you should file for workmans comp
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yeaaa i would go for Workmen Comp...
    Miszsamantha26

Answer by Miszsamantha26 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• you shouldnt haveeeee to but you technically.... you work at a vet where there are risk.... its like a doctor getting sick from a patient.... that risk should be expected.. you decided to handle those animals, it wasnt an accident
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 12:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Workmans comp.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You can try to get workman's comp for it, but I think that only works if you become injured. I used mine in 2008; a book shelf fell on my toes and my two big toe nails were removed. Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It depends on what your offices policy is on handling animals with such illnesses. Are you requires to wear gloves? If yes, can you prove you wore them? If there is no special policy (which there should be) than Im sure you will get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Thanks everyone, It would be awhile before I could afford it if I had to do it by myself since the pills are $283 and each time I get blood drawn its almost $200 so total I'm looking at almost $1000 to treat this nasty stuff. And its not like I wanted to handle those animals, Its my job and I HAD to do it, couldn't tell my boss "sorry i'm not helping you" and we didn't know it was postitve ringworm for about a week after actually handling the animal. Thanks again everyone.
    staciaw

Comment by staciaw (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Have you tried to talk to him about it and tell him the situation?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:39 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• This is a job related problem I say they pay for you.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010