Anyone start their education/career after 40, how did you do it?

Please share your experiences, your struggles and any advice you can give. Thank you.

momplus01

Asked by momplus01 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, I haven't done it yet. I'm 49, and have been a stay at home mom for about 21 years. I did freelance write for quite a few of the early years. Now that all of my boys are in college, I'm finally starting to get back to my own dreams, and I'm writing a novel. I've joined a couple of professional organizations, and I'm learning as much as I can about the changes in the writing industry since I quit writing for magazines and newspapers years ago....and a lot has changed. Networking, researching, and writing are basically what I've been doing. We'll see if I'm successful!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I asked this same exact question just a few weeks ago! Good luck! I'm still trying to figure out how to maintain my lifestyle but return to school.
    babylotus

Answer by babylotus at 1:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Maybe we should start a group for 40 + women who are in a transition!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:44 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I did not, but have 2 aunts who did. They went to college in their 40's. It is never too late.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I did not either, but I don't think it's too late to start! You still have half your life in front of you!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:19 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• at 38 this has been crossing my mind a lot lately.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My MIL did. She started her undergraduate degree just a few years ago. Now she is teaching at the local community college and is working on her graduate degree at the same time.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm 49 & have been in the insurance biz for 20 yrs. I finally quit my current company after being w/them for 13 years. For the same reason (must be a 40+ thing) LOL.. I didn't want to do the same thing for another 20, I was already bored out of my mind. I did a complete switch! I have been working at home for the last 13 yrs & got used to it, & just cldn't go back to an office, yet wanted more freedom. It's really funny, but I joined with Scentsy almost 3 yrs ago (I loved the product), but saw more money in the future, and was right. I've worked it part time for the last 2 1/2 yrs & just quit my f/time job 2 weeks ago. So I "transitioned" myself slowly. I really wish I cld of put more into it & I wld be even further along, but I'm okay! My Scentsy biz now pays more thn my f/time job. SO, find something..anything, but the KEY is to just DO IT! Do something U will LOVE!!
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 9:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2010