Vanishing twin syndrom?

My doctor gave me a call tonight to see how I was doing after my miscarriage ( she is such a wonderful and caring woman) I told her I was doing better, but I was still noticing some pregnancy symptoms. I was expecting her to tell me what everyone on here has told me, that it was just my body trying to get back to normal. She was silent after I told her everything. She then told me that she wanted to see me ASAP for bloodwork and an ultrasound! She said something about vanishing twin syndrom? I'm trying not to get too excited, but is it true, could I still be pregnant? Has anyone ever had this happen before? If so, what symptoms did you notice that made you realize, wow, I might still be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :( 2nd, I haven't had it, but I have a friend who has. It was odd because we found out she was pregnant and we were talking about vanishing twin syndrome, I had never heard of it. Though sad, it fascinated me. Then a week or 2 later we find out thru her ultrasound she has twins. We were STOKED. Then a few weeks later at the next ultrasound, one sac was way bigger than the other, and her body was re-absorbing the cells back into itself. She never had the classic "miscarriage". I just though it was ironic and terribly sad that we were talking about it before we even knew she had twins, then it happens to her. :(
    For your sake, I hope you still have a little one in the belly. Good luck!!!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i have twins so i am very educated on this.... in fact 3 out of ten woman will get pregnant with twins and lose one... most of the time this occurs soooo early that it wont even show up on their first ultra sound but there are rare cases that if you catch your pregnancy reallyyy early you will see that you are pregnant with twins and t6hen the next ultra sound one wont be there.....if you have already had an ultra sound n twins wernt caught the chaces of you being pregnant still is veer slim...vanishing twin syndrom happens before your 7th week of pregnancy which is why it usually goes un detected
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 1:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• but not to hurt you, if you have already witnissed 2 ultra sounds ... im guessing you had one when you were pregnantr and then another confirming your loss) the chances of you having vanishing twin syndrom is slim to none and it was wrong of your doctor to even mention that without further evidence and get you all worked up n excited like this... good luck tho
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 1:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No idea so heres a bump good luck!
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 1:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I never had an ultrsound done, just bloodwork.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• you had bloodwork done, no ultra sound, and they told you it was a mis-carry? that makes no sence though.... if you had bloodwork done that said you were positive for pregnancy your obgyn should follow that with an ultra sound... its standard... and even if they are saying you had a miscarriage they would still give you an ultrasound to make sure your body has completely absorbed the embryo depending on how far along you are
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 1:13 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would have only been 5 weeks. My hcg levels weren't high enough to detect anything and had dropped to what the considered a negative.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:18 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• hmmmm, well....i suppose it could happen. i have never heard of it like that but actually the opposit. i remember being terrified after finding out i was having twins and reading bout VTS all day. luckily n obviously my twins wernt lost. i still however dont think it was right of her to mention it till after your ultra sound due to their not being enough symptoms to point to that.... but good luck.... if i were you n couldnt wait id go buy a pregnancy test... people that lose a twin still have healthy pregnancies and a at home test should still be able to deect the hormone regardless if one was lost.. gl
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 1:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• That's what I was thinking about doing. I have had 2 healthy pregnancies before this. I don't know a whole lot on miscarriages, etc. So of course I don't know the standards either. My doctor is military and I have noticed from having my youngest that they don't do everything standard.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I don't know anything about twins, but I do find it odd that you didn't have an ultrasound at all. When I found out I was pregnant and they did my initial bloodwork, my hcg levels were low and they were worried about a miscarriage so they immediately did an ultrasound to confirm it was a viable pregnancy. My initial bloodwork was done at almost 7 weeks. 5 weeks sounds really early for a doctor to diagnose a pregnancy or miscarriage just with bloodwork. I'd ask for an ultrasound!! Good luck :)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2010