I just realized I'll probably die alone

If my husband goes before me, and our only son ever moves away for college or a job, I'll probably die alone. I'm an only child, I have family across the country, but other than a couple cousins they are all an older generation, and my husband isn't close with his family, nor do they live close either. So I just realized that there is a good chance I'll someday turn into an old maid and die alone. It's depressing me, but I don't know what I can really do about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• That's the problem with a lot of us always predicting how our futures are going to turn out when in all actuality no one knows the future but God. Who's to say that you're going to be alone? Who knows, God just may bless you with a wonderful person to share your life with or even wonderful friends. He may bless you with a new hobby or even an opportunity to travel or do something new and exciting. Look at life in more of a positive life & not so much on the dark side. A new year's almost upon us and go in to it with gusto, love, positive thinking, and peace of mind.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:20 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• There is a lot of "if's" in this scenario. I say live your life to the fullest and have no regrets. Don't worry about what "might" come, but rather worry about the here and now.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:12 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Now your depressing me! lol. I am alone, no hubby, no bf. But honestly, Im a christian, so I believe whenever I die, wherever I die, I truly wont die alone. You need to think a little more about life and a little less about death my friend, your going to be dead for a long time, however you get there...its what your doing with your life now that matters the most!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If you die, then what does it matter if you're alone? Better that then leaving behind people to grieve.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but you can never be an old maid....because you've been married.

Aside from that, I always tell my husband I think it's very important for both of us to have strong social ties outside of our children. Friends that we will be there for, and hopefully would be there for us as well. The odds are that for every couple to some degree one of the two will die "alone", but if we have strong friendships, we're never really alone.

I also agree with anonymous above that you need to think more about the life you have now, and live it to the fullest!!! *hugs*
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:07 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Eh, I have a family and I feel like nobody cares. I figure, better to have nobody that cares then people that only pretend to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• who's to say your son won't be by your side when you leave this world? and maybe with his family! you never know what the future holds!
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 4:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I feel pretty much the same...if hubby dies and my kids are off having thier lives I will be seriously lonely.
    I am now and they live with me!
    All we can do is try not to dwell on it I guess...it's not the dying that I care about it's the getting there- sick and alone : /
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Because who wants to spend their last days of life alone? Who wants to lie on their death bed without loved ones by their side? I'm not saying I want to have family so that they can grieve over me, but who wants to die feeling like nobody cares?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Have faith and remember you are never alone and nobody knows what tomorrow will bring don't worry about it or dwell upon it .Live life to the fullest lesve the rest to the Lord my friend.
    trailoftears

Answer by trailoftears at 2:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2010