Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who should claim baby on taxeS?

SO and I have a 9 month old DS. SO works full time and makes twice per hour then I do. I work part time. Whould should claim DS? Does it matter or would we get more back one way over the other?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • The person who makes less. The person who makes more is going to have more taken out. I don't know if it really makes a difference in the end, but it makes it seem like the person who would be getting less, is actually getting more.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • If you are filing jointly, it doesnt matter as long as you two together make less than $110,000 Anual Gross Income
    If (married) filing seperately , the one who makes less than $55,000 Anual Gross Income, should claim the baby
    If you are not married filing separately, you should claim the baby regardless of income

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Usually the person doing our taxes helps with that. We have always done better filing jointly with all of us being his dependants.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • You should claim. you will get more earned income credit and child tax credit.

    Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • I would run the numbers at turbotax ( and see which will give you the highest tax refund.

    Usually the best thing to do is file married filing jointly if you can. So run it that way as well.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:16 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • You file

    Answer by JLS2388 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.