Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i have been supporting my grown daughter for 9 mos...shes 20 can I claim her on my taxes?

my daughter hasn't worked for 9 mos and I have been supporting her can I claim her on my taxes as a dependent? or will I get more money back if I don't?

Answer Question

Asked by StressedOut107 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 9 (312 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I don't think so, she has to be in school full time for you to claim her.

    Answer by ohwrite at 1:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • There are rules for who qualifies as a dependent. I don't think she'll qualify unless she's a college student.

    Double check on

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • We found this out the yr the grandkids came to live with us. To claim her you have to have supported her for 12 full months. We claimed our youngest until he was 23..but he was in school and we fully supported him.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • The anon poster is correct. You'll have to meet certain requirements in order to claim her on your taxes. The IRS website will have more information on that.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:14 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • You can claim her if she is a full time college student or is disabled.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.