i have been supporting my grown daughter for 9 mos...shes 20 can I claim her on my taxes?

my daughter hasn't worked for 9 mos and I have been supporting her can I claim her on my taxes as a dependent? or will I get more money back if I don't?

StressedOut107

Asked by StressedOut107 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think so, she has to be in school full time for you to claim her.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• There are rules for who qualifies as a dependent. I don't think she'll qualify unless she's a college student.

Double check on www.irs.gov
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We found this out the yr the grandkids came to live with us. To claim her you have to have supported her for 12 full months. We claimed our youngest until he was 23..but he was in school and we fully supported him.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• The anon poster is correct. You'll have to meet certain requirements in order to claim her on your taxes. The IRS website will have more information on that.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_publink1000220939
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:14 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You can claim her if she is a full time college student or is disabled.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 28, 2010