Just got a Kitten...Need Help

Hi everyone,
I want to know what wormer should I use?
She is 12 weeks old never been wormed, the guy said she was vet checked.
I thought you are supposed to worm them at like 6 weeks cause all kittens have worms.
Am I wrong?
Anywho what wormer do I use??

nowmommyof2

Asked by nowmommyof2 at 2:21 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Just look for one labeled safe for kittens over 6 weeks old. You're right. All kittens and pups should be wormed at 6 weeks. We always wormed our animals 3 times a yr on our Vets advice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Take kitten to the vet and ask them...there are different kinds of worms. I got a pup once who had round and hook worms. The over the counter wormer would not have worked for the hook worms. It is best to know exactly what worm you have before you treat it...
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• New kitten worming ;  new kitten feeding options;  Best wishes on the new little one:

Yes, please get the wormer right way - she only needs a small amount ;  Some good brands are: D Worm liquid for cats; You can also get Donatol from the Vet offcie ( by RX only);  Just make sure you buy one that is for kittens.

Here is a great help for daily care - I use 2 supplements for my pets - to keep away the worms for dogs and cats:

PLUS a good vitamin too:  see here:  D.Earth Natural Powder - mix into the food daily -

This is not a drug-  Alternative to harsh womers:

I use this daily     http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/2010/12/Worming-meds-alternative-harsh.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 8:13 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would take her to the vet and bring a sample so they can see if she has the worms they find in the stool. Also if you see white things around her butt that means she has a tapeworm. The vet will give you the right kind of worm medicine - don't try to guess on your own. Young kittens especially are so small you don't wnat to take chances.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• The best wormer to use is the one you get from the vet after they run a fecal test to see what worms she has. Kittens get dewormed mulitple times during the time they receive their vaccines.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 28, 2010