Do you think Christians have a bad rap?

You know since this election we have been accused of forcing our beliefs on people, being judgemental, being hypocritical. Yuck those are all bad things. We need to clean up our reputation, I looked on the internet to find some statistics here's what I found, kindof scary.
Participants were asked how they thought/felt about Christians. 47% responded that Christians are “normal,” 20% said “judgmental,” 17% said Christians are nice or kind, 10% said Christians are okay as long as they keep their beliefs to themselves, and the remaining did not answer. In other words, 20% of participants view Christians negatively, 57% neutrally, and 17% positively.
Do you as a Christian care how others perceive you?

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 12:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I care, because if that is how they see me, that is how they see what I represent. Looking at Christianity throughout history, you will see Christians being a cruel, persecuting religion. That is NOT how God wants us to be. It is a sad, but deserved opinion of Christianity in general. It is up to us as the next generation of Christians to change that.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I'm not a Christian, but I am the lone non-christian in my family. There are a lot of Christians who need to be a little less overbearing, but for the most part, are mostly good, loving people. I think it's a people thing. Some people just don't have "Christ-like" personalities.
    Anonymous

• I'm Christian and I don't care how others perceive me to be. I care how God feels about the way I live my life. People have been fighting over religious beliefs for tens of thousands of years.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• First let me say that I am a Christian. But we absolutely get a bad rap, because of the many hypocritical Christians. I used to be one. I still struggle with stuff, like we all do, but I've learned that it's not my place to judge people. But so many Christians do and that turns people AWAY from Christ, not towards Him.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I feel like if someone knows I'm a Christian, they automatically think that I think I'm better than they are...which isn't true! They automatically think I'm looking down on them....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I'm one of those who look at Christians as Normal. I've met some great Christians and I've met some horrible Christians. I base my opinion on the individual because regardless of faith people can be overbearing, hypocritical and judgmental. However on cafemom I have seen more of the hypocritical Christians because they are "louder" then the loving Christians
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Well I don't want other people to see me that way at all, I am not judgemental and it bothers me that we have such a bad reputation. I have never been perfect and being perfect isn't a requirement to be loved by Jesus. I think that as a whole we should be careful how we present ourselves to others especially in forums such as Cafemom where they only see us and know us by what we type. I feel ashamed that we portrayed ourselves as a whole to some people have we pushed others away?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I didn't mean all christians by my last comment, what I mean is that if there are some of us guilty of this and it leads to a bad perception we should all be aware.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I agree with feesharose...
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• One "bad" Christian can ruin it for the rest of us....

It's like anything else, you're more likely to remember the bad things about your day than you are the good...
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008